New to the site!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lawsonchickens, Oct 26, 2014.

1. lawsonchickens

lawsonchickens New Egg

Oct 26, 2014
    Eureka, Ca
    Hi!

I am new to the site, as a member. My husband and I are raising chickens for the first time, my girls are 18 weeks old. We don't have a huge space, and are in town so we just started with 2 to get in the swing of things. 1 barred rock, and 1 silver laced Wyandotte. We have used this site searching for info throughout the whole process since we got them when they were 2 weeks old and just decided to join in on the fun!
    And while we are kind of in the waiting game for the first egg to come in the next month or month 1/2 I do have a question.
    Is it normal to have gotten the chicks the same time, handled them the same and gave them both the same amount of attention to have one that is very friendly, and loves to come say hi and be pet, and the other is totally against it, she will come close and eat treats out of our hands, but if you even reach in her direction she runs away. I just thought it was strange since they have been treated the same. Is it a breed thing? If it matters the calm tame one is the barred rock, and the flighty one is the Wyandotte.
    Thanks so much!!!

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Your situation sounds perfectly normal. Wyandottes are more prone to being independent and wild. Barred rocks, one the other hand, are super curious and very friendly. Keep trying to get the wyandotte to warm up to you. Cuddle her without the barred rock and give her lots of treats. She may also get more friendly once she starts laying.

Good luck with them!

1 person likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Even within one breed you can find personality extremes - that's just the way it is. It doesn't mean you failed in any way. Over time , watching the other hen lap up all the attention she is getting, may cause the other to want some for herself. Sometimes when they begin to lay their dispositions take a turn for the better.BTW [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. coppertop2014

coppertop2014 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2014
    Bend, Oregon
    My Coop
    I agree. It is a breed and personality thing.

:welcome:cd

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  5. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us. I agree with drumstick diva. The breeds are overall different, but each chicken has its own unique personality. Special attention --treats- goes a long way in establishing your relationship.

6. DRGLENNON

DRGLENNON Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2014
    Homosassa Springs, FL
    [​IMG]

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Absolutely. Each breed has their personality. But as they age, you will notice them calm down a bit, and the shier ones can become more friendly. Just keep up all the lovin' and hopefully this shy bird starts to get more friendly.

Enjoy your flock and welcome to ours!

1 person likes this.
  8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

10. DRGLENNON