New to the site!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Spook Rickit, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Spook Rickit

Spook Rickit Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Hi everybirdy!

My name is Dusk and I've been living with chickens since I was 2.

It all started out when a friend of my mother's thought it would be a funny joke to give me two roosters for Christmas because mom and I had just moved to a horse farm out in Stouffville, Ontario. Mom named the roosters Christmas and Thanksgiving to go along with the joke, sadly Thanksgiving didn't live too long, I believe a raccoon had got into the coop and stole him one night, but Christmas was alive and well for many years to come, for some reason I fell in love with that bird; Wherever I was that chicken went with me if I could help it, I'd bring him with me on walks and if I didn't he'd usually follow me anyways, I'd ride around in the Gator with him, play games on the computer while he'd sit on the chair with me, and when my mom finally decided to bring home some hens for him, I ended up spending most of my days in the coop.

My mom thought it was the silliest thing that I grew up on a horse farm not really liking horses but instead choosing to spend my days in a stall full of chickens, "It's just a faze, she'll grow out of chickens" She'd tell her friends whenever they'd have a good laugh about it, boy was she wrong. 17 years later and I still cant seem to get over my love for chickens, heck I even go to get a couple of the chicken's pictures taken with Santa every year XD.

Since then we've moved from the horse farm, my original rooster Christmas lived for about 7 or 8 years if I remember correctly, before dying of natural causes. We raised chickens for many of the years we've lived where we are now, for a couple of years we were without chickens however because of a respiratory disease that took the flock, but during the summer of last year we bought some chickens from an auction that nobody else would bid on, three mix breed silkies, they were in pretty bad shape and by the looks of things had some pretty bad living conditions with their previous owners, we named them Spook (rooster), Engie (rooster) and Pyro (hen), Pyro and Engie came together and were very friendly and loving chickens who with the help of treats quickly became attached to me, Spook on the other hand is still a bit of a worry, he dislikes being handled but if he knows you have anything edible on you he will attempt to steal it because he thinks they are treats for him, He's the biggest chicken in the coop and feels he should be the king of the roost but because he's generally rude to the rest of the flock nobody gives him the respect he thinks he deserves, that aside he isn't the worst case I've dealt with and hes come a long way from when we first got him .

Those three started us up again, and before we knew it we had bought 7 more chickens from some breeders we knew back in Stouffville, we now have 9 all together (sadly a weasel got Pyro) and they are all living happily together as a flock.

Now I think I've rambled a bit too long here so I'll leave it at that for now, any questions you have for me I'll be happy to answer!
    I look forward to hearing from other chicken lovers here and maybe even making some new friends! Thanks for reading.

2. Welcome! [​IMG] So glad you have joined us! Happy New Year!
    [​IMG]

3. Spook Rickit

Jan 1, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Thank you! And happy New year to you as well!

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So glad you could join our community! Sounds like you have a lovely flock. But I am sorry you lost Thanksgiving. I hope your present flock continues to bring you great joy.

Welcome to our flock and Happy New Year!!

5. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. Spook Rickit

Jan 1, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks guys! Happy New Year!

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by