1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

new to the whole chicken things

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by danieldenashvil, Mar 22, 2015.

1. danieldenashvil

danieldenashvil New Egg

Mar 22, 2015
    Mount Juliet Tennessee
    Hey my name is Daniel bought chicks a couple of weeks ago and I know the basic I think but I would be happy for some advice so I can take care of my chicks til they full grown chickens

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
  3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome Daniel

Glad you could join the flock! Congrats on your new chicks :celebrate I love raising chicks it's such a rewarding and fun experience. Here is a nice article on raising chicks https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...ks-the-first-60-days-of-raising-baby-chickens

Be sure to ask any questions you may have, everyone here to help and very friendly. The raising baby chicks link Chicken girl1 has left for you is a great place for lots of info.

Wishing you the very best of luck with your new chicks. Enjoy BYC :frow

1 person likes this.
  4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] So glad you decided to join us.

And congrats on getting your baby chicks.

There are so many helpful articles in the Learning Center.

Here's another link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/raising-your-baby-chicks

You will be keeping them in a brooder until fully feathered and ready to move to the coop. Keeping them busy and not bored is one issue. A small chick size roost, Baby Cake = forage cake for chicks you hang in brooder, and some dried mealy work treats bring excitement. I also placed a thermometer in the brooder and they loved to peck at it. If you do treat, make sure you mix some chick grits in their food.

In just a few weeks they will get larger. On sunny warm days, you can day trip outside, but stay close and watch them closely.

One fear I had when mine were nearing time to move out was the issue of going from 24 hour brooder light - even red - to dark at nite. I had planned to slowly wean the light for increasing night time darkness….but it was not necessary. With the help of a "chick cam" I found that when brooder lights were on, they slept, wakened, ate , drank, slept on and off thru the nite. When the light was off….they just slept...

If you don't already have a coop, get started, you will need it in 3-4 weeks.

Please do explore the Learning Center. Feel free to ask questions.

1 person likes this.
  5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our community.

Congratulations on your new chicks! You've received some excellent links and advice already. [​IMG]

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined! :)

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    So glad you joined us at Backyard chickens...[​IMG]

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, Daniel. Glad you decided join to our flock. Please feel free to ask any specific questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your chicks.

10. danieldenashvil

danieldenashvil New Egg

Mar 22, 2015
    Mount Juliet Tennessee
    [​IMG]

hey these are my baby chicks but I got a problem I don't have any idea how old they are I think they are 3 weeks but I don't know anyone else have any ideas they are and can I maybe heating lamp away now or later

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by