NEW TO THE WORLD OF CHICKENS

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by dannademetre, Nov 20, 2016.

1. dannademetre

dannademetre New Egg

Nov 20, 2016
    Hi there! I moved to a rural community east of San Diego 13 months ago - after living in suburbia for 24 years. Loving the new lifestyle and just started raising chickens in June 2016. Most are now at about 22 weeks and we're getting our first eggs! About 2-7 per day despite the short days.

I'm a former RN, health author and speaker. Now do weekly video blogs and healthy living website for "Ageless" women (over 45). I'm 64.

Have 15 chickens and plan to give 4 to my daughter who lives nearby as soon as her coop is ready. We have 2.3 acres - but keep our chickens in a very large pen most of the time as we are nestled right next to the Cleveland National Forest with lots of wildlife. Biggest risk is hawks as the coyotes seem to have plenty to eat with the massive rabbit population. We keep umbrellas up at all times and the chickens seem to know the risk as they run into their coop whenever they see a large bird - or even an airplane!

5 Ameraucana
    2 Plymouth
    3 Australorp
    1 Light Brahma
    2 Rhode Island Reds
    1 Cochin
    1 White Silky

Too much fun!
    [​IMG]

2. TroyerGal

TroyerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC!! The community here is so helpful!

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. What a lovely area you live in. Are all your birds hens? If you need help you can post photos at "what breed or gender is this."

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. What a lovely area you live in. Are all your birds hens? If you need help you can post photos at "what breed or gender is this."

6. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    WELCOME!!!!

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under dannademetre [​IMG] Welcome to BYC!

That is a beautiful picture! Congratulations on the eggs.

We do not have a lot of Hawks but the large grasshoppers [aka traffic helicopters] send the girls running for cover [​IMG]

I hope you enjoy BYC; not only is it overflowing with lots of great information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non-chicken-loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories and pictures about chickens, turkeys, ducks, quail and other feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome! Pleased you joined our community! That's an awesome selection of chickens you have there! Best wishes and thanks for joining this great site! :weee

9. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! I am so glad you joined us, I do hope you will make yourself at home here. Enjoy BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by