New to the World of Chickens!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bigdaddyjts1, Nov 6, 2013.

1. bigdaddyjts1

bigdaddyjts1 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2013
    We are from Locust Grove Georgia and are brand new to the Chicken world! We have a nice coop and will be constructing a run this weekend! Any suggestions for a good breed or type for just 2-3 laying hens to start with!

2. chickyfuzz

chickyfuzz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2013
    I suggest Sussex or Isa Brown I have a Sussex cross Isa Brown and she lays eggs about every day sometimes she skips a day but she usually lays every day.

3. cypressdrake

cypressdrake Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2012
    Thibodaux, Louisiana.
    I would go with Buff Orpingtons, or Plymouth Rocks, or sex links to start. These are all good layers. There is lots of good breeds. The best thing is to do your homework before you jump into any breed.

Best wishes, Dan

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] There are so many different breeds to choose from and each have their own set of good and not-so-good characteristics. I'd suggest browsing through the Breeds section and see what's available and learn more about them. Remember you can keep more than one different breed together, so if you see 2 or 3 breeds you really like, you can get one of each. (Better make that run nice and big [​IMG])

5. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Beware of chicken math. 2 or 3 = 15 to 20 Take my word for it, you will look back in a few years and say he was right. It's happened to most of here on BYC.
    So like Sumi said better build it nice and big.
    Welcome and enjoy!
    Steve, :frow

6. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Oh yea, forgot.
    Buff Orpingtons are very friendly to humans, almost dog like following you around, white leghorns are the best layers, and silkies are yard ornaments and house pets but don't do well in rain or cold. There are many more good choices but that is a few of my favorites.
    Welcome and enjoy!
    Steve, :frow

7. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    Welcome! Glad you joined BYC! ;~D

8. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Happy to have you with us!!

Take this chicken math issue seriously. I set out to have eight and now have 13. When you are done with the breeds section, you will want 20 birds, I know I do.

I'm helping a friend build a coop and run for 12 birds, but we are actually building it accommodate 30!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  9. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by