1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to this all!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kellyschippy, Apr 18, 2017.

1. kellyschippy

kellyschippy Just Hatched

Apr 17, 2017
    connecticut
    I'm located in CT. Near the intersection of Litchfield, Hartford and New Haven county. We have 7 leghorns.They're about 3 1/2weeks old. I could use tips and tricks of the trade (so to speak). Will I need to heat the coop in winter? They are outside full time. We heat the coop now and block off the ramp at night so that they have to stay inside. We open the top back vent a little and so far so good. We're newbies to raising chickens, but we go thru so many eggs we figured this would be the best option for us. Help is appreciated! Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    They will be mature and won't need heat this winter. Chickens handle cold much better than heat.
    We've raised leghorns for many decades dating back to the early 1900s and never provided heat.
    Fresh air is much more important.
    A closed up coop raises humidity and causes frostbite.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  3. ECarter1217

ECarter1217 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2017
    meridian ms
    from going to school at Forman in Litchfield I Know the winter snow can be very heavy I would build them a hen house i don't think that one will be strong enough in the winter

4. thewolf1039

thewolf1039 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2017
    you already have some good advise so good luck with your chickens and[​IMG]

5. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Yeah, forgot to mention snow.
    I stock up on straw to cover the snow to give the chickens something to walk on.

6. ECarter1217

ECarter1217 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2017
    meridian ms
    that's good but keep an eye on the roof keep the snow off if possible i have one of those coops and the heat is rough on it i can only imagine the harsh cold

1 person likes this.
  7. cordy and co

cordy and co Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2017
    If your chicks do begin to shiver it can be a good idea to add more bedding. But they generally don't need it if they are mature.

8. kellyschippy

kellyschippy Just Hatched

Apr 17, 2017
    connecticut
    Thank you everyone! We arw currently using the heating lamp only if it goes below 50 right now. They're getting so big so fast.

I know its different for everyone but....how many chickens from the original flock last thru the first year?

Also anyone else here from Connecticut?

9. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by