New to this...am I supposed to be giving them meds?

NicInNC

Crowing
15 Years
Jun 23, 2008
North Carolina
I've only ever had chickens for pets and we've never eaten their eggs. We currently have only 2 banty hens and I would like to actually eat their eggs. I know we won't get many eggs, but the few we do get, I don't want to go to waste.

They haven't started laying yet. We got them this past summer. I know I have to start giving them oyster shell (I'm starting that today), but am I supposed to be giving them some sort of medicine? I read something about antibiotics. How will I know if the eggs are safe to eat?

Is there a reason why you think you need to be giving them meds? If they are not sick, there is no reason to give them meds.

Also, you don't need to give them oyster shells until they start to lay eggs. When they do, just make it available to them and they will eat it as needed.

It is wonderful to get fresh eggs from your chickens! Enjoy them!
ya.gif

lol.png

Yeah, I'm kind of scared. I keep telling myself that the store bought eggs are not fresh like the ones I'll get from my own chickens, but I guess I'm still nervous about eating them. When I buy eggs from the store, I know that there are regulations in place to make sure that the food is safe. So, I ask myself "how do I know mine are safe?". It's silly, I know.

Heck, regulations are in place, yet they didn't help all the people that got sick from the peanut butter! I need to do like you said and relax.

Quote:
When you eat your fresh eggs for the first time, you will know the difference between "farm fresh"and "store fresh". There is NO comparison.

Quote:
knowing what your chickens are eating and how they live should give you a better piece of mind about eating those fresh eggs instead of those poor chickens confined to little indoor cages and who knows what they give them to produce eggs quickly. Yours are way safer then store bought eat up
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom