New to this and eager to learn

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by 6chicksandme, May 4, 2017.

1. 6chicksandme

6chicksandme Just Hatched

May 4, 2017
    Leesburg,VA
    Hi Everyone
    I'm a city girl with a country heart. I just received my very first " babies" all six I mean seven ( they sent me an extra one) . My babies are going into junior year of college and I'm now having the time to do things I've always wanted. Looking forward to learning so much and making some friends-Marcy

2. Chickguy74

Chickguy74 New Egg

Apr 18, 2017
    Texas
    Good luck. You'll love it! Raiding chickens is rewarding in many ways.

3. 6chicksandme

May 4, 2017
    Leesburg,VA
    Thank you so much;) I'm having a problem with one of my chicks. I've read so much and a bit confused as to what to do . So many different opinions

4. tinakevin

tinakevin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2015
    New hampahire
    What is the problem?

5. 6chicksandme

May 4, 2017
    Leesburg,VA
    Hi
    My baby chicks are 3 days old. One of them have crusty butt I know how to clean her and have done so along with putting olive oil on ( I will switch over to vasiline ) . I now have a 2nd chick with the same problem.I decided to separate the two chicks from the other five so they won't get sick. I than called the place I ordered them through to order Amprol which they no longer sell. She told me to add 1/3 cup of Organic acv to a quart of water. Now reading everyone's advice I'm a little freaked out that I might of added way too much and that I could of poison them. Meanwhile the original sick baby chick is lathargic and not doing well. I gave him a wee bit syringe of the mixed water and vinegar aNe she took it. What else can I do?

6. tinakevin

tinakevin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2015
    New hampahire
    You really should post this in the emergency section as well. But I will tell u this. Pasty butt is not contagious. I have never used acv for my chicks. I start them with probiotics and electrolytes. Do u have any of this. I would def not put that much acv in the water. Please dump it out. Is he eating at all

7. 6chicksandme

May 4, 2017
    Leesburg,VA
    I'm at work and will be home in 30 min and will dump it out. The wired thing is my daughter just called me and said the baby chicks breathing seems to be normal and all of them are sleeping. I'm worried she has corr-virus and isn't that contagious? Even if it's not I had another baby picking on her that's why I separated them five on one side and two on the other

8. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Marcy [​IMG] Welcome & Congratulations!

Sorry that you are having a couple of issues but the good news is that both, Cocci and pasty butt, are fixable. Not having experienced either myself, I am not comfortable advising you on the best course of treatment but the folks on either of these two Forums should be able to help:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/11/raising-baby-chicks

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. 6chicksandme

May 4, 2017
    Leesburg,VA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by