New to this and need some suggestions please.

Xovan

Songster
6 Years
Feb 9, 2013
Oneida County , NY
Ok so I have a plan (I think) for the long term of my adult flock but not sure how to get there. I was hoping that some of you goulg guide me there. I live in central NY and am starting on the kids April break. (8 April) ship dates. Cool not cold. I have ordered 15 BLRW and am going to order 10 SLW and 15 crackle red broilers. Final flock will be 12ish mix of the wyandotte hens and 1 BLRW rooster. I do not have the space in the house to brood 40 chicks in the house to 8 weeks. I have an old pool to set up in the garage 18' across by 4' high going to make a frame out of scrap wood I have. I have 3 of those metal clamp lamps available. I have been told to keep the broilers separate so I have an unlimited supply of cardboard from work to do that if needed. I would like to brood them in the house for the first 2-3 weeks then move them to the garage. I can build a 5x6 brooder in the house with cardboard from work and a tarp. Then move them to the garage with the lamps. Does this sound like it would work? If not then I am open to suggestions.Thank you for any input.

Hi and Welcome
welcome-byc.gif

I have 25 in a long rubbermaid cont. with a lamp, 2 ice cube trays 1 for food 1 for water. pine shavings with burlap covering. they seem very happy it contains the mess and holds the heat nicely. I you don't mind me asking why did you order so many BRLWs if you only want 1 rooster. are they bantams? Where did you order from? I had to order 25 because it was a special. I think your garage plan might work I would just be worried that the floor might be to cold in NY in March. Trust me I am no expert. This is only my 2nd group in the house. Mine are usually ordered in the summer. Good Luck! once they come you might not want them in the garage they are so darn cute
love.gif

Thank you for the reply. I ordered 15 BLRW because they are unsexed and I would like to keep like 6 or so hens. They are not bantams. I figure to harvest the non social roos in the fall and keep 1. That way I can split the harvest this year 1 in late June and 1 in September. I ordered them from Nava on here. It was my 8 year old daughter who found them and I could not say no. A bit more pricey than hatchery but if they look half as good as their mom and dad then She will be happy, And that makes me happy. I would not move them until end of April early May to the garage.

Now I understand Good luck getting the 8 yr old to move them into the garage. Been there
gig.gif
She is 14 now and it's still begging just 1 more week please mom. I would keep the broilers separate from the others What ever you do don't name them until you decide who to keep. When I name them they stay. I hope I helped. good luck!

Just wanted to bump this to see if I could get any more advice /encouragement. I am 1 nervous 40 year old man. Been to war and frightened be a bunch of day old chicks. LOL oh and I keep changing my mind. Now I think I want 5 crackle reds and 10 cornishX. I am going to place my order today. Crackle is going to block my number I have call so many times and not ordered yet. Friday they told me they had 300 slw's left for the date I want so I can wait too long.

Back
Top Bottom