New to this Chick business...

Lanissa86

Songster
11 Years
Mar 26, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Okay, today I recieved my order from Ideal. This is what I had on my order form.

3 Ancona Pullets
1 Ancona rooster
3 Delaware Pullets
2 East India Ducklings

I know they are supposed to put males in the small order, but when they came in I have 7 added males! wow, wasn't expecting that many. I think they are Buffs from the look of them. I will include some pics. I also picked up a baby chick from a lady in the area that had no clue about chicks and one had already died. She got them for her kid for Easter and it is an Easter dyed chick. he/she is green but has a few white feathers coming on on the wings. My main question is this. I have a red heat lamp that I used in the past for my baby ducks, but I only have one and was not sure if the ducklings could stay with the chickens, I separated them because of the pecking! Well now my heat lamp bulb just went out! What am I to do? I can't go to the feed store until tomorrow morning when they open. Will my little guys survive the night with no heat lamp? I am in South Texas and its 70 something at the moment in my house. What do you guys think???

DSC_0782.jpg

DSC_0778.jpg

DSC_0774.jpg

DSC_0769.jpg

Years ago one of my younger brothers raised two dyed Easter chicks in a cardboard box with a regular household lamp inside. The bulb was a 3 way bulb which he had set to it's highest output, and the chicks grew up to be fine, healthy, beautiful roosters. I suggest trying to get a lightbulb of some sort in the area of the chicks and use your thermometer to try to get the temp right for their age. The chicks will let you know if it's too hot by getting away from the light, or too cold by huddling right under it. When it's just right, they should spread out evenly. Hope this helps!

Oh, and WELCOME to the BYC forum!
smile.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion about the light bulbs. I placed a 100 Watt light bulb over them and they are spreading out evenly so I guessed it worked! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom