New to this "chicken addiction" lol

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Angie0477, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Angie0477

Angie0477 Just Hatched

Apr 8, 2017
    DeWitt, VA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hello everyone ! A few weeks ago my husband decided we needed chickens lol. We live on 10 acres in VA so space isn't a problem but I was planning on having land cleared and a coop built before adding chicks to our current menagerie. I wanted to research breeds, and proper husbandry, enrichment, nutrition ect. before taking the plunge. We were at TSC and he "impulse bought" what he thought was 5 white leghorn and 5 gold sex link pullets. They're 4 and 5 weeks old respectively but as they're starting to feather out, I suspect they're all leghorns and I'm wondering if at least 2 older ones aren't roos....feel free to give me your opinions about that please ! Yesterday, we came home with 10 ISA browns and 2 barred rocks...hopefully ALL pullets ! Anybody who has any pointers, please feel free to let me know....I want to do this right !

-Angie

2. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Egg Grower Premium Member Project Manager

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
  3. Angie0477

Angie0477 Just Hatched

Apr 8, 2017
    DeWitt, VA
    Thank you....I'll check that out !

4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Angie [​IMG] Welcome!

I recommend a visit to the Learning Centre; lots of good tips there: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Good luck!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

If you would like to share more pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  6. Angie0477

Angie0477 Just Hatched

Apr 8, 2017
    DeWitt, VA
    Thank you for the welcome and the links ! I have tons of reading to do :). There's more then just those 2 with cones getting redder, but I don't see wattles on any of them yet. Should I rehome all but 1 roo, or can they live together with enough space?

7. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    If you wish to keep a cock bird for fertile eggs, then I'd suggest keeping the two of them for a few months (if you lose one to sickness or predators, then its good to have the other one still around). They may or may not be fine together, but if you are new to chickens, then I would not advise keeping more than one (if any, to be honest).

8. Angie0477

Angie0477 Just Hatched

Apr 8, 2017
    DeWitt, VA
    I originally thought we'd bought all pullets lol...not keeping any roosters is fine with me.

9. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    Then I'd go that route. Many peeps keep them until they are 4-5 months and then put them in the crock-pot. Trying to get rid of cockerels, even giving them away is not necessarily easy.

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    both genders of white Leghorns have large combs - the females eventually have ones that flop over. You might want to run your photos past "what breed or gender is this."
    to be sure you aren't dumping females along with the unwanted males.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by