new to this chicken thing.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bigdave, Jul 28, 2013.

1. bigdave

bigdave In the Brooder

Jul 28, 2013
    south florida
    here are some of my pics of my chickens. turned out i grabbed some turkeys too. oh well building another cage for them. i live in south florida and keep them outside in a cage with a light at night time. they seem to be doing well, i have had them out there for about a week so im guessing they are around 3 to 4 weeks old. any suggestions would be great. thanx in advanced.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Crowing

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, bigdave, and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us! Do they have an actual coop they can be locked up in at night? I ask because the chicken wire you have enclosing them is good for keeping them in but not so good for keeping determined predators out. In fact raccoons have been known to reach through the wire and grab a chicken and eat it through the wire. But if you can lock them up in something predator proof at night you'll really up their odds. Good luck to you!

3. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Crowing

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

4. bigdave

bigdave In the Brooder

Jul 28, 2013
    south florida
    that is the coop i have for them. it has a door that i close at night time. its wide enough that they r not close to any openings in the wire. you could call it there safe haven. with a light on top. dont really have to many problems with racoons here but they are around. i have a full privacy fence around the property and we have a dog. my bedroom is next to the cage so i can hear chirping if there is something going on. i can look through the window at them. i dont think it will take too long till they are fully feathered. i have not given the turkeys different feed yet but they do eat alot of bugs when im home. i hope im not messing the feed up i know i need to give them more protein than the chicks.working with what i have. cant wait till i get some eggs from the chickens. if any of them turn out to be hens. cross your fingers for me thanx again.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO.

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    [​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] you might want to go to "other backyard poultry" forums which includes turkeys, for more information about them.

7. liz9910

liz9910 Crowing

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! Good luck with your chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: