New to this forum and raising chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sunshine0629, May 7, 2013.

1. sunshine0629

sunshine0629 Hatching

May 7, 2013
    Hi everyone we new to raising chickens and we have 6 hopefully hens. Two of each buff orpingtons, barred plymonth rocks and aracaunas. They are 8 weeks old. We are excited about this and want to do what is best for them. I have a question about feed. I have looked into organic but seems really expensive. So looked at the recipe you do your self and that too seems pretty high for us. So my question is what brand of feed would you all recommend using that is more on the natural side and is not filled with "artificial fillers"? Purina layena and penpals are two I am thinking about but not sure. Of course they still need starter feed because they are too young. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch. Sunshine 0629

2. chicknmania

chicknmania Crowing

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    We give our young ones non medicated chick starter til they are around five or six weeks old. After that,we use Purina Flockraiser, or just 17 % layer feed, ( we alternate one or the other) mixed with cracked corn and/ or scratch grain. Plus appropriate table scraps, and they free range and pick up their own goodies, too. Seems to work well, for us.

3. chicknmania

chicknmania Crowing

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Oh, sometimes when I am feeling wealthy in summer, I will get them show poultry food, because it does improve their appearance, nice shiny feathers, and it's full of good stuff for chooks. But that stuff is expensive.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Crowing

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, sunshine0629, and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our community! I tend not to worry to much and feed various brands so I'm not much help to you. Good luck to you and have fun with your hens!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Crowing

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!! [​IMG] Glad to have you aboard!! [​IMG]

7. sunshine0629

sunshine0629 Hatching

May 7, 2013
    Thanks so much for having me I have a question bout posting to the forum. I am not sure how to do this. I would like to ask about feather picking/eating between hens but not sure where to post my question. Any advise with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO.

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: