New to this forum. Hello from Ohio!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Lil Buff, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Lil Buff

Lil Buff New Egg

Dec 22, 2013
    Hello, everyone! I've known of this forum for quite some time - just couldn't get around to joining until now.

A little about me:

I have a background in livestock (horses, llamas, hogs, sheep etc). I grew up riding and loving horses, showing various animals in 4-H, and generally having a blast on the farm. I'm in college now with just a year left until I graduate and fly the coop (pun intended) in a timely manner.

I must admit that I was at one time a chicken hater! [​IMG]
    I absolutely detested the thought of owning them. My mother and younger sister have wanted them for years. About a year ago, they went ahead and bought 15 little fluff balls (9 Rhode Island Reds and 6 Easter Eggers). The rest is history. But that wasn't the end of it. As soon as the first group was old enough to live outside the next wave came (5 Golden Buffs, 2 Barred Rocks, and 2 more Rhode Island Reds). Nope, still doesn't end there. Two weeks ago we picked up 3 White Leghorns. All are pullets, no cockerels. We have, unfortunately, had a handful of casualties for various reasons. That leaves us with 23 kickin' chickens currently (including both laying hens and chicks).

They are pretty lucky - they have about 60 acres to run around on, a really neat recycled coop (I'll show you in a minute), plenty of dirt to bathe in, and are pretty happy chickens in general. I really, really love them...even though they have pretty much taken over our farm! They go where they please and leave presents along the way. They are very friendly, come when we call (for the most part) and are so spoiled it isn't even funny! Well, actually, it's hilarious. [​IMG]

Their coop was our tree house at one time. My mom and sister always dreamed that we could use the tree house as a chicken coop. What do you know, it came true! About a year ago we took the tree house down for safety reasons. The actual house part was fine, but the supports were questionable. As a result, our chickens' residence has vinyl siding, a shingle roof...heck, those chickens even have their very own wrap-around porch!

Here is a pic of the tree house turned chicken coop. The windows and doors have been boarded up for winter, this is just a progress pic taken some time ago.

[​IMG]

I do not have any great pictures of our flock. I'll have to do that and update sometime within the next few days. I can tell you some of their names, though. Hmm...let's see...there's Curly, Merida, Beth, Chanty, Sylvia, Black Beard, Mabel, and Dipper - just to name a few.

Oh my, that was long winded. LOL. Greetings everyone, I can promise that my posts will NOT always be this verbose! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  2. cstronks

cstronks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC! It is always great to have new members! The picture of your treehouse/hen house looks good. How high is it thought? Is that doorway the size of a normal doorway? It can be very difficult to maneuver in there all crouched down...especially when cleaning!

Also, I noticed it has a window in the back. You probably want to face it towards the sun to maximize the amount of natural light that gets in there. Good Luck!

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow Welcome to BYC and Happy Holidays! Sounds like you have a nice little flock going there. Like the X tree house idea for a coop, think some chickens would have been perfectly happy if you had left it in the tree for them.

4. Lil Buff

Lil Buff New Egg

Dec 22, 2013
    I don't know how tall it is exactly, but I'm about 5'6" and can stand straight up in it without too much difficulty. It isn't too bad, though it is much, much smaller than I remember as a kid. The doorway is another story. I've hit my head several times. lol! It actually has two doors, the one you see in the pic is now just a wall. There is a side door that's the same size.

I can't remember the exact dimensions of the coop, but it is bigger than it looks in the pic. Its placement right now is pretty permanent. Moving it would require the use of a backhoe arm, tearing down the frame for their run, and re-routing some electrical conduit. The window is boarded up for winter, but it is always open in the summer. They are only in the coop at night, and are allowed to come and go during the day unless it is too cold. I bet we could put a window in the side door, though (it faces the sun). Thanks for the suggestion!

5. Lil Buff

Lil Buff New Egg

Dec 22, 2013
    Thank you, and yes, I'm sure some of ours would be appreciative of a high rise hen house! =)

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Good idea to have 1/2" hardware cloth behind the windows so they can get air in summer and still keep predators out.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - be as verbose as you choose - some of us are like that too.

9. cstronks

cstronks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    I forgot that the picture you showed was from before it was set into place, that is why I didn't consider a run and moving difficulties. I'm sure you will have a ton of success with your flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by