New to this forum.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by samanthaburns, Aug 7, 2013.

1. samanthaburns

samanthaburns Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    Texas
    Hello. I am new to this forum and new to raising chickens . I have 10 barred rocks and 2 pekin ducks. Our chickens and duck have been laying eggs steadily for about 2 weeks now. At first it was 1 or 2 eggs a day no it averages about 6 per day. One day we got 9 eggs then the next only 3. We feed them later crumbles. The weather here in Texas the last couple of days has been triple digits. Is there egg production a factor of the heat? If so what can we do to help them

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Yeah the heat can slow them down, as can any stress.

Some people use misters, fans, and give ice water out in the run on hot days. Watermelon rind treats. Good shade.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I wet down the sand in their run on very hot days, and the evaporation lowers the air temperature a good ten degrees, plus they love digging into the damp, cool sand, releasing excess body heat.

4. samanthaburns

samanthaburns Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    Texas
    Today we have gotten 7 eggs so far. Temp is 105. But I have been wetting down everything to help keep them cool. Gave them watermelon this morning and they just loved it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by