New to this- I own a little baby chick :)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by itsnina, Feb 28, 2013.

1. itsnina

itsnina Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2013
    I'm karina and this is my baby "Polluelo" . I got him on Saturday and today he is six days old . I believe it's a him from what I heard and read. My baby is aggressive so I guess it's a boy lol he is very attached to me. I can't leave him in a room alone because he starts chirping really loud . He has a bed schedule and has nap times too. I feed him grinded rice and grinded sesame seeds. What else can I feed him? He poops a lot and I love giving him water. Any advice will be appreciated
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG]

Chicks do best on chick starter crumbs which you can buy at a pet shop or feedstore. It is formulated to meet their nutrient requirements. Mashed boiled egg would be a good treat for your chick at this stage. Chickens are very social creatures and do better with a chicken companion. Is it possible for you to get your lone chick a buddy?

For more on chick care and raising have a look at our Learning Centre, here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

2 people like this.
  3. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    give him a mirror, do you have something to keep him warm? I feed my chicks everything, besides chick feed.

4. itsnina

itsnina Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2013

A mirror ? I'll try it out and yeah he eats anything he finds but I try keeping an eye on him

5. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I like to give my chicks egg yolk mixed with water, they just lived on egg yolk while in the egg it is fine, and sometimes when they are eating reg I givem a bit of scrambled.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by