New to this! Need Words of Wisdom!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Kkelan, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Kkelan

Kkelan New Egg

Mar 23, 2014
    Hello, I have my coop and waiting for chicks! I am getting two and know nothing other than what I am reading so any advice is greatly appreciated! I am excited to get my own eggs and hearing all of your insight in order to make this an awesome experience!

2. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi and welcome to BYC! The Learning Center is a great place to start. Everyone here is super helpful, so if you ever have any questions, always feel free to ask! Thanks for joining us! [​IMG]

3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] glad you have joined us and congrats on getting your own backyard chickens.

I hope the two you get are gals :)

I agree, the best place to begin is the learning center to get you ready for the new adventure.

And feel free to post questions in the forums, we're here to help.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Words of wisdom - okay! If you remotely feel you will be getting more chicks(eventually). It's best to get them now - chicks that grow up together generally get along. If you have 2 and later on want to add more, there is an integration process you have to go through so the original birds and new ones won't injure each other.

Also chickens do better in a flock, if you have only two and lose one - the lonely chick will require another buddy or two. And a new period of introduction. Pecking order is an on going thing each time there are additions or losses (especially of alpha flock members.)

5. silkiecuddles

silkiecuddles FortheLoveofSilkies

Mar 1, 2015
    Florida
    Hello, and welcome to BYC!! :frow

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. ChickenChaser9

ChickenChaser9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2016
    Welcome to BYC. Best advice so far. There are so many issues that as a new chicken raiser you'll have trouble accounting for whether it is neighborhood dogs or illness/injury and chickens do not do well alone. They are social birds and I would say that three is the MINIMUM number to have in your flock. Choosing the right breed for your situation is also an important consideration. Some birds do better in certain climates and have different dispositions and personalities. Do yourself a favor and research as much as you can about the breeds you are considering owning.

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined the flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by