New to this.. Silkie Roo/RI Red hen; chick hatched yesterday

scsc2323

Hatching
Apr 11, 2016
Posted a while back about my RI Red hen pecking my silkie hens eggs to death. Since then, my silkie's have become broody. They don't lay. They've collected the red's eggs. I decided to let them be with 2 eggs. I have 2 white silkie roo's; no red roo's. Yesterday, a chick hatched that I had to help.. Anyway, here is a photo. Any idea how to sex it, considering the mix? Or do I just wait and see? And I have the silkie hens on their own now, separated from the rest of the flock (which they are loving), in their own luxury coop. They are mothering that baby so well! This is my first go at chickens, so any help is greatly appreciated!

Look up pictures of feather sexing. It's pretty accurate for young chicks. Female chicks have more even wing feathers, whereas male chicks have jagged or uneven feathers. Silkies and silkie mixes are pretty difficult to sex young. Very cute chick!

Thank you! I've read that this combination (red hen/silkie roo), sex can be told by skin color. Males white, females black. I've also read that the opposite combination with a silkie hen/red roo can't be determined until later. Just trying to validate that. Will check out the feathers.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom