New to this site and raising chickens.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Foleys, May 12, 2010.

1. Foleys

Foleys Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Toccoa
    What time of day do chickens lay eggs? Can you perswade them to lay a certin time of day? My chickens lay on the ground mre then in there boxes is that normal? And finally my chicken coop is close to my dogs lead is that going to bother them to hear the dogs bark?

2. Ga.chickenman

Ga.chickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Vidalia
    Some of mine lay early morining and some late in the afternoon.
    I keep a golf ball in the nesting box seams to keep my hens comming back.
    I haven't been able to talk mine into all laying in the morining yet ,but I'm still trying.
    They'll get used to the dog barking soon enough.

3. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Mine lay at what ever time of day they want I do not think there is way to make them lay at certain times I do use the golf ball in the nest boxes it worked great in getting them in the nest boxes Mine are not bothered by dogs barking but I live in town, I guess that it will take them some time until it is normal for them.

4. shawnm2639

shawnm2639 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodlake Ca
    Golf ball good..moving basket(they just happen to lay in ) to a better position bad. [​IMG] Everytime I try to "help" they change where they are laying. Most of mine lay in the nesting boxes but I have a couple the like other places. And at all times during the day.

[​IMG]

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

There's a sort of cycle to the time a hen lays her egg. It takes about 26 hours to build each one, and if she's a really regular, good layer, laying around 8 a.m. one day, the next day she'll lay around 10 a.m. And around noon the next time. Etc., etc., etc., until she gets to a very late time and won't lay again until morning. (They don't lay in their sleep.)

And there are days that get skipped, sometimes.

The golf ball in the nest box is a super good tactic to use. Leave it there, don't take it out just because the chicken(s) lay in the nest boxes.

My chickens aren't bothered by my barkers, or the neighbors' barkers. Nor are they bothered by the gas-powered lawn mower, or my hammering, sawing and swearing when I was building their coop. They were INTERESTED in what I was doing, so much so I had to move some of the work out of the run. Didn't want to hammer little feathered heads by mistake, or saw one through the neck, as they got really close to see what was going on.

6. emmak

emmak Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    North Central Texas
    It was interesting to read what you said about the 26 hour cycle, because that's exactly what happened when our first hen started laying last week. Each day she would lay her egg a little later. Now I understand why! Thanks![​IMG]

7. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Quote:Excellent advice! When mine started using the nestboxes, I took out the dummy eggs. Then I noticed that our hens would keep inspecting the different next boxes, acting kind of like Goldilocks, looking for just the right one. I finally figured out that what they were looking for was a nestbox with an egg already in it! When I put back a dummy egg in each one, our hens were happy to pick any of the unoccupied nestboxes.

8. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    I learn something new on this site everyday. Mine aren't laying yet, but I know what to do now to not have to hunt all over the place and had no idea about the 26 hr cycle time thing.
    Thank you!!

9. Foleys

May 12, 2010
    Toccoa
    yeah my roo was the same way!!![​IMG]
    Quote:

10. Foleys

May 12, 2010
    Toccoa
    Mine have not yet either but I have only had them about a week now and someone told me that they are too young to lay eggs...[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by