New to this site! Need help!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bonbon13, Nov 14, 2013.

1. bonbon13

bonbon13 New Egg

Nov 14, 2013
    Hi everybody! My name is Bonnie! I am new to the backyard chicken website and I'm glad I joined. I have a question and if anybody answers it, it will be greatly appreciated! My chicken who is about 3 months old has eaten yarn and i had no clue of it.. Anyways, she's not walking she's barely eating or drinking she's making weird breathing sounds.. So I give her time alone, so then I check on her and I see one of her feathers on her beak.. I take it out then I see her bedding on her beak as well.. I take that out... Then I see some type of yarn string.. I try to pull it out like the others and I pull on it and it came out a little bit but not entirely.. So then I came to the conclusion that maybe that's the problem. Yarn is stuck in her throat. But I don't want to pull on the yarn because I don't want to hurt her... I'm not sure.if its the breast bone but, it looks life it shifted to the other side..Somebody please help me! I want to help her before its too late!

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I once had one swallow a tarp string and survived. Don't try to pull it out from her mouth is my advice. Cut off as much as you can if it is hanging out of her mouth.

It is possible to do crop surgery on a bird but I don't have the experience to tell you if it is indicated or how to do it...there was a thread on it though.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  3. bonbon13

bonbon13 New Egg

Nov 14, 2013
    Thank you for the help! But my chicken has passed away this morning. But I appreciate you taking the time out to help me.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I am sorry for your loss. It sounds like there wasn't anything you could do.

5. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    I am so sorry for your loss.[​IMG]

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I am sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by