New to this site

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by nine9fingers, Jan 21, 2016.

1. nine9fingers

nine9fingers New Egg

Jan 20, 2016
    Grew up next to local chicken/egg seller in South New Jersey. Family raised chickens after Mrs Hoog(chicken farmer) died.
    Left home, joined USCG, served in Libya 1960-61, B4 Kadfy.
    Worked for GE in Philadelphia, PA and Boeing Aircraft Co, in seattle.
    Moved to Chester County, PA in 1981.
    Raised three hens in the 90's.
    Going to start with another 3 or 4 hens, the eggs from the supermarket are not that great.
    Let the hens roam free, losts lots of flowering plants and ferns from there plant attacks. Want a moving system to house and raise the hens.
    Looking for moveable house & run, need to protect from 4-legged creatures and flying birds.
    Do not care what color eggs, have raised bothe style of hens laying white or brown eggs.
    OH, Old-Fart with lack of tolerance NOW! Do not want rooster or troublesome hens.

Not sure what type to buy, probably will purchase through TSC in Pottstown,PA

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Thank you for your years of service to our country. By troublesome hens I assume you are referring to aggressive hens. That being the case, I would suggest going with one of the breeds that has a well deserved reputation for being calm and gentle (lap pets) such as Faverolles, Australorps, Orpingtons, Sussex, Cochins, or Brahmas. Keep in mind however that there can always be an exception with any breed. If high egg production is a priority, Australorps are the best layers on this list. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC- glad you have joined us and I hope that you what it has to offer.

All the best
    Ct

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. N F C

N F C eggnog time! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  6. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. Thank you for your service! X2 on Michael OShay's post. Those are all lovely choices. Good luck with your future girls!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thank you for your time in service. Welcome to Backyard chickens. The trouble with chicken tractors is that predators can dig under then and get your birds, or bigger preds, can turn the tractor over and eat them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by