new to this whole incubating thing

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by geegee2, Jan 13, 2013.

1. geegee2

geegee2 New Egg

Jan 13, 2013
    We have an incubator full of eggs. Main question: How are the eggs supposed to go into the incubator trays? pointy side up or down?

2. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    I'd double check your incubator's instructions, but generally speaking, you place them fat end up.

3. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    [​IMG]

Incubate them pointy side down. The air sack from which the baby chick breathes is on the larger end. [​IMG]

Good luck with the baby chicks!!! [​IMG]

4. geegee2

geegee2 New Egg

Jan 13, 2013
    Thanks ya'll!

5. geegee2

geegee2 New Egg

Jan 13, 2013
    The hubs wants to know if we can flip some that are in there pointy side up? They've been in there a week.

6. CayuseRanch

CayuseRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Newalla, Oklahoma
    Yes, flip them. I noticed one time that I had one in upside down and just flipped it around.

7. geegee2

geegee2 New Egg

Jan 13, 2013
    Okay, one more question. Our incubator has these turning trays that have cups in them to hold the eggs. The way they appear to hold eggs is in a vertical position. So, the eggs are vertical with the pointy end down. I just want to be sure doing this right. We've got an incubator full and I don't want to lose these eggs.

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Pointy end down. The air sack is in the fat end and if you turn the eggs upside down the air cell will try and move to the pointy end. When the chick gets into position for hatching it will position itself to break into the air sack so it can breathe. If the air sack is not where it should be the chick will try pip into whatever there is and suffocate.

9. geegee2

geegee2 New Egg

Jan 13, 2013
    I was just making sure I didn't need to lay them on their side, like a hen does.

10. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    The egg turners are designed for the eggs to be vertical and pointy end down. Naturally, the eggs would be on their sides. But it's much simpler for the turner to have the eggs vertical and turn them from side to side. It's also more space efficient for the eggs to be vertical rather than horizontal. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by