New to this with a couple questions.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NWrookiechickenmom, Apr 11, 2011.

1. NWrookiechickenmom

NWrookiechickenmom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    Hi! We have three hens for personal laying purposes/pets. [​IMG] Two barred rocks and one Rhode Island Red. The rocks are 1 year old, we got them at 8 months and they have been great egg-layers even during winter. The RIR however hasn't layed in over 2 weeks, and before that she would go a few days between laying. Is that normal for the breed? At what age do hens typically stop laying? (we don't know exactly how old she is).
    Another ?: We are thinking about getting an Ameracauna from the feed store that is 6 weeks old, when would it be able to go out into the coop with the others? We are in WA, still having nights that get down to 40 degrees, and 60 during the day at most.
    Thanks for reading!

2. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Do all those chickens lay brown eggs? If so, I would guess she is laying, just not everyday.... I wouldn't think she is too old to lay- unless she is 4 or 5. Is her comb red? Does the new bird look fully feathered?

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  4. NWrookiechickenmom

Apr 11, 2011
    Thanks for replying!!
    The red does lay brown eggs like the rest, but hers have always been somewhat deformed (not perfectly shaped) and with red speckles on the shells, so it has always been very apparent which ones are hers. Her comb is nice and red, no missing feathers. I haven't checked her vent yet but was going to capture her and do that today. I have read that is something you should check to see if it looks moist and healthy.
    The new one is fully feathered, and about 1/2 the size of our full grown ones. When would it be advised to put her in with the others if not yet now at 6 weeks?
    Do chickens have a memory/emotions? Red came to us with a "buddy", a Bantam (they came from the same farm). About 4 weeks ago Banty was killed by a hawk, wondering if that could be why red isn't laying? Just a thought....Cecily

5. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    If "Red" saw the hawk attack, she may be a bit traumatized and that could affect her laying. She could also be moulting - have you seen any of her feathers laying around on the ground?

6. NWrookiechickenmom

Apr 11, 2011
    Pretty sure they all saw the attack, I scared the hawk away but not soon enough! The others were all hiding in the coop making a fuss! [​IMG] I have seen a few feathers in the coop. Is this the time of year they moult? By the way, we have re-built our coop/enclosure since the hawk incident. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  7. Patchesnposies

Patchesnposies Chickens.....are my ONE weakness!

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    Yes, she could be reacting to the loss of her buddy especially if she witnessed the attack. If she is looking a little scruffy, she may be molting. Once she is through that she will begin to lay again.

If you can put your little Ameraucana in a run or pen next to the others for a while. (Couple of weeks or even 1 to 1.5 mos when she'll be bigger) Where they can see each other. When you are ready to put them together do it at night when they are asleep. When she is in with them in the morning there is a chance they will think nothing of it. Or, there may be a bit of pecking to let her know she is the new kid.

8. Snegurochka

Snegurochka Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Quote:I would get two (or three) instead of one. She needs a friend to stick with when she eventually gets integrated into the coop, and also so that they all won't be ganging up on a single bird. Think safety in numbers. Even if you have to get a bird that's a little bit younger than the Ameracauna (or is it an Easter Egger?) it would be better than putting her in there alone.

9. Patchesnposies

Patchesnposies Chickens.....are my ONE weakness!

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    Quote:I would get two (or three) instead of one. She needs a friend to stick with when she eventually gets integrated into the coop, and also so that they all won't be ganging up on a single bird. Think safety in numbers. Even if you have to get a bird that's a little bit younger than the Ameracauna (or is it an Easter Egger?) it would be better than putting her in there alone.

Good grief. It would serve me well to read a post thoroughly! lol

You are absolutely right. I was thinking this was a 6 week old that she already has.

WHAT SNEGUROCHKA SAID! x2

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  10. NWrookiechickenmom

Apr 11, 2011
    Okay, thanks, we'll think about getting two. Not sure our coop/pen is big enough for 5. Maybe we'll look into getting 2 more Bantams instead.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by