New to this... YIKES... bald spot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JayinBoston, Jun 7, 2011.

1. JayinBoston

JayinBoston New Egg

Apr 13, 2011
    I am really new to having backyard chickens. I have three hens(approximately 17 weeks old). One of them (Silver Lace) is experiencing major feather loss on her backside near her tail. There is a rather large bald spot. They have good light, always have food, clean water and ventilation... help! Any ideas or suggestions?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have a couple pictures I can send if that helps.

Thank you in advance.

2. ailurophile23

ailurophile23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    VA
    Welcome! Pictures are always helpful. My first thought on this is that it could be mites/lice but without more info/pictures, it is hard to tell. If you search "Mites and Lice" on the forum, you will find more detailed descriptions of what you might see and what to look for.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    The very first thing that comes to mind is mites or lice. What you can do is pick her up and really look at her vent area......and under her wings....If you see some creepy crawlers, then you can dust your flock really well with poultry dust that you can buy at the farm store, and I believe you repeat that in 10 days (but ready the directions because I'm not sure). The repeat dusting will kill any of the young lice that have hatched before they can begin to multiply. It would be a good idea also to thoroughly clean out your coop, dust really well and put fresh bedding down for them.

If it's not lice, it could also be caused from a rooster's overly rough mating, or another hen that is pulling feathers, or molting.

Good luck!

Sharon

4. JayinBoston

JayinBoston New Egg

Apr 13, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by