New to this...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by castrofarm, Mar 18, 2016.

1. castrofarm

castrofarm New Egg

Jul 20, 2014
    Going to be getting my kids baby chicks for Easter and before you tell me they aren't pets, I know. We have wanted our own chickens for fresh eggs for a while now and it's just something cute I can give to he kids for Easter. WIN WIN! Any suggestions for a beginner like myself.

2. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    EE are great silkies are great broodies they can hatch eggs from you EE and are gentle, salmon faverolles, check out some online hatcheries to see what they have, just about any chickens can be a good breed, I would suggest against really high egg producers while you did say you wanted eggs, the ones with higher production die sooner, most chickens can live to 10 but only lay for the first 2 regular and some still lay at 6-7 if they are good layers but not meant for production

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  4. castrofarm

castrofarm New Egg

Jul 20, 2014
    What does EE stand for? I'm literally new to this whole thing. Never raised a chicken or even had fresh eggs.

5. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

EE stands for Easter Egger. They aren't a true breed but a lot of fun with their colored eggs and are pretty girls.

If you haven't already done so, check out the Learning Center...there are a lot of good articles there to help you get off on the right foot (there's even an article on selecting the best breed of chickens for your needs). Chatting with members in your own state can be helpful too as they can give you tips on dealing with weather issues, breeders, swap meets, etc. Just type your state name in the Search box and the state thread should pop up.

Good luck to you and most of all, have fun!

P.S. Myself as well as a lot of other members consider their chickens to be pets so don't worry about that!

6. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] x2 on the Learning Center, it's the best place to start! Best of luck to you.

7. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    [​IMG]

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Some people even have chickens as house pets. My friend has 3 bantam (small size) hens.

9. castrofarm

castrofarm New Egg

Jul 20, 2014
    Got my little ones today. 4 chicks. Weeee how freaking cute!

10. Opendoorfarm

Opendoorfarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2016
    Congrats! What breed did you decide on-post pics when you can[​IMG]

Blessings!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by