new to this

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JT19, Apr 18, 2016.

1. JT19

JT19 New Egg

Apr 18, 2016
    Delta mo
    This will be my first chicken coop ever!!!! just going to document it and hopefully have questions answered [​IMG]

and any tips on it all are welcomed. cant wait [​IMG] one question i have its 89 degrees were im at bout 60 at night if i use a the red heat lamps and wood shaving bedding can i put my day old chicks out in the coop i just dont have the room in my house to keep them thanks.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    You can brood anywhere that you are able to provide sufficient warmth. Given your current conditions the use of a heat lamp should provide sufficient warmth, it will just be a matter of adjusting the light position to assure that. Many folks brood outdoors, in garages or in the coop itself.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    [​IMG]

My 3’ x 6’ brooder is in the coop. The reason I have a brooder is to protect the chicks from the older flock, otherwise I probably wouldn’t even use a brooder. I don’t know what your coop looks like but as long as it provides protection from the elements and predator protection and you have a heat source there is no reason you can’t brood out there. I’ve put chicks in this brooder straight from the incubator when outside temperatures are below freezing.

One problem with brooding outside is that the temperatures change. You need to keep one area warm enough in the coldest temperatures but another area cool enough in the warmest temperatures. If you can manage that mine are great about self-regulating even straight out of the incubator. There are many different ways to so that. I use a heat lamp, a traditional way that has been around for longer than my many decades. There is a fire danger with that, so throw away the clamp that comes with it as it is unsafe and secure the lamp with wire so it cannot fall. I keep one end toasty but I’ve seen ice on the far end some really cold mornings. The chicks stay where they are comfortable.

A hover is another traditional way that has been around since World War II at least. It’s basically a fairly shallow box turned upside down that keeps hot in since hot air rises. Here is a link to someone that is trying a hover. I don’t have any experience with them.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1097273/hover-ohio-brooder#post_16878363

The heating pad cave is a trendy way to do this also. Here’s a link to a thread where they are helping people with this method.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/956958/mama-heating-pad-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update

There are some other methods but these should get you started. With any of these there is some danger since you are using electricity so be a bit careful about that. But people have been brooding chicks outside for a long time. There is nothing new about the basic idea. Keep one area warm enough and another area cool enough. The chicks do the rest.

2 people like this.
  4. JT19

JT19 New Egg

Apr 18, 2016
    Delta mo
    [​IMG]

5. JT19

JT19 New Egg

Apr 18, 2016
    Delta mo
    [​IMG]

6. JT19

JT19 New Egg

Apr 18, 2016
    Delta mo
    Sorry guys with all the rain and work just now posting pictures from yesterday there will be more today after I go get more supplies.

7. Reds mommy

Reds mommy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2016
    We have 4 Rhode island reds 2years old Fuzzy who is always covered in dust loves to dig for worms and likes to be in the rain died yesterday. Her stomach was bloated and could hardly walk. We gave her Epsom salts to drink and then soaked her stomach in Epsom salt bath thinking she might be eggbound. She passed shortly after We don't know what caused this
    Does anyone know what might have happened?

8. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    I am so sorry for your loss - it would be best to start a thread of your own here : https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures for your situation.

9. Reds mommy

Mar 29, 2016
    So sorry

10. Reds mommy

Mar 29, 2016
    We have a Rhode island red. Her name is Sweety. She's about 2yrs old and I don't think she's ever laid an egg. She seems otherwise healthy. Is it possible for a hen never to lay a egg?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by