New to this!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by manda28, Dec 17, 2012.

1. manda28

manda28 New Egg

Dec 17, 2012
    I have another question I got 4 laying hens or so they are called and they were laying everyday we now have a rooster and I have cracked 2 eggs and they are fertile but my hens are not sitting on them will laying hens incubate the eggs or do I need another breed of chicken

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    What breed of 'laying hens' do you have? Broody instinct has been selected against in most hatchery type birds although individuals still go broody upon occasion.

3. manda28

manda28 New Egg

Dec 17, 2012
    I actually have no idea what breed 1 is black with a tinge of green through it,2 are brown but with heaps of white on their tails,the last one is pretty much brown

4. TallChickMagnet

TallChickMagnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2012
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    A lot of the time chickens will wait until they get about 5 or six eggs under them before they start sitting.
    [​IMG]

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Broodiness is hormonal and some breeds tend to go broody more often than others (like Silkies) and some breeds seldom if ever. I've had battery hens go broody and hatch chicks so never say never LOL
    If you want to encourage your hens to go broody leave a few eggs in the box for them and see if they fall for it. It is not a guarantee, but works sometimes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by