New to this

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Duckies34, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Duckies34

Duckies34 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2013
    Hello everyone, I just bought some week old chicks and 4 week old ducks (at least I think that's how old they are) I would appreciate some tips on how to care for them. I would like to know when I can put them in the coop, and how to introduce them to my 3 large breed dogs. Also how to get my ducks to like me. I built a coop inside of a 3 stall loafing shed and walled it off I left the top rafters open for ventilation and I plan on putting wire there to no critters or wasps can get in. I did put a divider wall in the middle I heard ducks kill chickens and that ducks cant eat chick food, I've been told that if it nonmedicated I can, but don't the chicks need it? But the chicken coop side is probably 7.5-8'x 10' is that enough room, even if I was to get more? and the ducks is 4.5-5'x 10' I plan one building a enclosed run soon so they can go outside. There is still some wire I need to run inside so nothing can dig in, but I planned on using Bermuda hay on top of dirt, is this ok? is it fairly easy to clean?

2. Duckies34

Mar 21, 2013
    I'm sorry right now I have 5 chickens and 4 ducks, I'm hoping the coop is large enough for them to be happy, I don't plan on anymore ducks, but I was gonna get like 3 more hens and a rooster

3. mattsinger

mattsinger Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2013
    Davison, MI
    I've had ducks and chickens together a few times.....no bad issues with either.

4. Duckies34

Mar 21, 2013
    So if I put them together with the chicks being a week will they be able to stay warm with the ducks? and do I need to give the chicks extra supplements because they wont have the medicated stuff?

5. mattsinger

Mar 9, 2013
    Davison, MI
    I raised ours both times from chicks together..no issues and no, I never added any type of supplement for either. Other than the ducks creating more of a mess, they all seemed to get along just fine

6. Eggnog101

Eggnog101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    The one thing I can reccomend is NOT feeding the ducks medicated starter feed. I forget what it does, but it messes them up some how.

7. Duckies34

Mar 21, 2013
    Would I be able to put them all outside with a couple of 250 watt red lights? it's supposed to be in the 50s this weekends with the nights dropping to freezing on Sunday night and a little over freezing on Monday but all next week will be 60's with probably lows of 40s(ish) The coop is enclosed with ventilation up top. And when raising them together if I bury an old koi pond for the ducks will the chickens get in it and drown?

8. mattsinger

Mar 9, 2013
    Davison, MI
    You should be fine putting them out with a heat lamp. Just set it up and check what the temp is under the light.
    As to the water......I only had one chicken that ended up going in the water...and never again. Quite a site to see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by