New to this

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Becky Evans, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Becky Evans

Becky Evans New Egg

Dec 9, 2014
    I just joined tonight. I am interested in learning more about Silkies.How well do they live in hot humid climates. I have 8 hens and one rooster, not sure what breed because they are rescues.

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I raised Black Silkies both in Hawaii and in east Texas and they did fine in those climate. East Texas climate can especially get hot and humid in the summer. BYC has a entire section on Silkies at https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/silkie. Also, you might want to pm our Silkie owners on our Silkie threads at https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=silkie+thread and take advantage of their expertise with Silkies. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]Hi and welcome to the flock. Silkie threads are the way to go - I'm sure there are people raising silkies all around the US. If you have a HOT climate the most important things are good ventilation , lots of cool water and shade, shade and more shade.

4. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

WELCOME TO BYC AND TO THE FLOCK!!!!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    so glad you joined. Another silkie enthusiasts![​IMG] I have 4 myself and they really are the teddy bears of the chicken world. They sit in your lap and love to be petted.[​IMG]

So happy to hear that you rescued those chickens! I have always believed that there is no greater pet, then the ones who are saved. They take nothing for granted, for the truly know how cruel and harsh the world can be. 3 of my 4 dogs are rescue and they're the best![​IMG]

5. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

I breed silkies, but where I live cold is more of the problem. I'm sure if you ask in one of the silkie threads someone will be able to answer you!

6. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Definitely do some chatting in the Silkie thread here on BYC for more help with your birds. They sure are a cute breed to keep!

Welcome to our flock!

8. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    [​IMG]

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

10. BantamLover21