1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

new to thread

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by blatham00, Jan 18, 2017.

1. blatham00

blatham00 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2017
    NC
    Hey yall. I'm new here. Love the page so far. Found some great info. I'm still new on raising chickens and have a lot to learn. Less than a year in. I have 3 hens and 1 roo. Love them dearly. I have my first broody hen (she's 2 weeks in) and I must admit I'm freaking out. I'd love some advice and input on what to do. Thanks for your time ;)

1 person likes this.
  2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    2 people like this.
  3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Sounds like you have a lovely little flock there and with your broody too a real little family! I'm in general an incubator hatcher so when I did have a hen go broody I found it a wonderful experience. Nature really is remarkable :D

Please do check out the link posted above for you, I'm sure you will find it helpful.

Good luck and enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

1 person likes this.
  4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, blatham00, and :welcome! Happy you joined our community! M of C gave you a great link so I'll just best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! :)

1 person likes this.
  5. blatham00

blatham00 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2017
    NC
    Thanks so much for the link. That article was very helpful. As far as I can tell she's been sitting for at least 14 days. She is a Rhode Island red named Ethel. She's always been really laid back and reserved. Hopefully in another week or so we'll have babies. I have a brooder I plan to move her to after they hatch. Being new to it all I'm scared to move her now. I hope it all goes smoothly. I'm terrified of doing something wrong. My flock is pretty laid back and they all get along well. Hopefully they will all transition well when the time comes to integrate.

6. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  7. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Good luck to you and Ethel!

Thanks for joining us, it's nice to have you here.

1 person likes this.
  8. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under blatham00 [​IMG] Welcome!

I hope the hatch goes well .. I am sure Ethel has it all under control. You are in for such a treat, watching a mumma hen raise her babies is so adorable and something I will never tire of seeing.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    sending good hatching vibes your way [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    [​IMG]

Good luck with the broody hen! If you run into any trouble or have any questions, BYC is most definitely the place to come.

Glad you joined!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by