New to turkeys & need some advice

buggal

Chirping
Aug 15, 2016
Aubrey, TX
I have a pair of Royal Palm turkeys. The tom is almost always in full strut and the hen is clucking a lot. When should we see them mating? I know the hen has produced eggs that hatched last year and I am just wondering if and when we should look for them this year?
Also when our male puffs out his feathers it makes a thunk kind of sound... Is this normal? my husband compares it to the sound just before NCIS starts.
Any input would be appreciated
TIA
Lisa

The sound the tom is making is called a drum. It's completely normal.

They have probably mated and just haven't seen it. My bourbons seem too mate late afternoon early evening.

I have seen a couple matings this year so far but haven't got an egg yet. I'm hoping in the next couple of weeks. As my chickens are just starting to lay after the winter break. It was I believe the 18 th of march before I got my first turkey egg last year from my palms.

West central mo. Is where I'm at

We are feeding 20% protein for chickens, and lots of scratch. What would you suggest for a good food for turkeys? We have tried soy beans but they don't really seem interested.

I feed my turkeys a pelleted All Flock with free choice oyster shells. Too much scratch will cause internal fat in turkeys which can lead to things like prolapse in the hens. So scratch should be a treat.

I don't feed pelleted all flock but crumbles.

It's 20 percent protein. I get at a local elevator.

Back
Top Bottom