NEW TO TURKEYS

SethJ

Songster
11 Years
Jan 9, 2009
Louisiana
Ok so,..I bought a flock of chicks the other day from a lady nearbyshe threw in one chick Turkey that was running with the chicks.

Its sorta white and grey/black speckled I dunno if its a Tom or what.

But anyhow,..it got me to thinking,..This spring I might like to try getting a Tom and a Hen,..and letting them brood a clutch,...you know try and grow a self sustaining flock of turkeys.

My question is,..what Breed to get??? Whats a good broody Turkey breed? The lady where I got this one seemed to be able to do it,..(in poor conditions I might add)...so it cant be that dang difficult?

As compared to chickens,..what do I need to know?

ps,..these would be for eating ...lol...not pets...

Also help with the nomenclature....Like any difference in what you call a fertile bird? a female? a male?...I'm ignorant about turkeys.

Last edited:
Ok so,..I bought a flock of chicks the other day from a lady nearby she threw in one chick Turkey that was running with the chicks.

Its sorta white and grey/black speckled I dunno if its a Tom or what.

But anyhow,..it got me to thinking,..This spring I might like to try getting a Tom and a Hen,..and letting them brood a clutch,...you know try and grow a self sustaining flock of turkeys.

My question is,..what Breed to get??? Whats a good broody Turkey breed? The lady where I got this one seemed to be able to do it,..(in poor conditions I might add)...so it cant be that dang difficult?

As compared to chickens,..what do I need to know?
Read the Turkeys 101 thread.

If you want help identifying the variety and sex of your turkey, post pictures.

If you want to raise your own turkeys, I recommend having at least 4 or 5 hens for one tom. I do not recommend getting a pair. A tom with a single hen can wear her out and even injure or kill her.

Newly hatched turkeys are poults, not chicks. Adult females are hens and males are toms depending on which part of the world that you live in.

Turkey is the breed but there are many different varieties. Check out Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys to see many of the different varieties available.

Since you want them for meat, I recommend staying away from Royal Palms since they are the smallest of the heritage type turkeys that I have dealt with.

If you want turkeys that are capable of reproducing on their own stay away from the broad breasted varieties.

I have never had a turkey hen that did not go broody no matter which variety they were.

Back
Top Bottom