1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

new to turkeys

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by fowlsessed, Nov 19, 2011.

1. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    I would like to get some turkeys, but dont know what breed to get (this always happens). I want a really friendly heritage breed thats going to be free range and can be used for meat aswell. Any recomendations. Even though I know it's probably just going to be personal opinions. I've looked at black spanish, blue slate, naraganset, bourbon red and all the typical ones you usually see. Personal experience with the breed would be nice. thanks

2. HallFamilyFarm

HallFamilyFarm PA ETL#195

Jan 25, 2010
    Collins, Arkansas
    I would suggest researching http://www.albc-usa.org/cpl/wtchlist.html#turkeys and find the variety that you prefer. Try to acquire a variety taht is accepted in the Standard of Perfection. That would be the Black, Bourbon Red, Slate, Narragansett, White Holland, Bronze, Beltsville White and the Royal Palm. They will all do well for you. Sizes are not that much different. Laying ability and temperment varies within each variety. We prefer the Narragansett.

3. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    We have standard bronzes and have so enjoyed their personalities! they are friendly, inquisitive, and funny! If you want a barrel full of laughs, just turn loose a bunch of crickets in the middle of seven turkeys!

4. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    Thanks for the answers. Can the standard bronze breed naturally? And will they go broody?

5. jasonm11

jasonm11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    Quote:All but the broad breasted bronze or white can reproduce. All heritage breeds are excellent pets live long lives up to ten to fifteen years and taste great. The royal palm being a smaller bird is of course less filling.

6. HallFamilyFarm

HallFamilyFarm PA ETL#195

Jan 25, 2010
    Collins, Arkansas
    The Royal Palm was developed as an exhibition bird. However, its culls are very tasty! just not as meaty. Compare the Broad Breasted with a CornishX. The Standard of Perfection types are all excellent meat birds. A little less breast meat than a Butterball, but still tasty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by