1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to us laying hen, not laying, or maybe?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by skillswife, May 7, 2011.

1. skillswife

skillswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    We have had her now almost a week. She is 9 months old and had been laying consistently for her previous owner. I figure it might take a bit to get acclimated, she is on layer feed, nesting boxes of all kinds to choose from etc. My worry is that she will lay on the coop floor and bury the egg with straw/shavings, we use the deep litter method. Do chickens often lay on the ground? She is a Millie Fleur d'uccle if that makes any difference, lol. I am probably worrying about nothing but I thought I would see what you all thought!

2. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Newly acquired chickens will stop laying for up to 4 weeks, but should go back to normal laying.
    it'll be a good idea if you can put fake eggs in the nest so she will know where to lay.

3. skillswife

skillswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    Totally forgot about the fake eggs! Thanks so much for the info!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by