New to Washington New to chickens HELP

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Angiesgarden, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Angiesgarden

Angiesgarden New Egg

Feb 9, 2016
    Bellingham or near :)
    Do silkies do well here? I'm near Bellingham and I've done a lot of research but I'm still trying to decide. I want less flighty, good with kids. Withstands rain and cold. I don't have chickens yet, we are planning on March. We have 1/2 acre with a barn that will be converted into a coop. Thank you for any and all info

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. Sorry, i can't help out with the breed suitability / location issue (I live in Kenya and we don't do cold [​IMG]) but I'm sure someone will be along to help out soon. If you type something like "breed comparison chart" in the search box you may find some info that you may find useful - also the breeds forum.

All the best
    CT

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Generally chickens can tolerate cold much better than heat. You may want to join your state thread to ask what breeds do best in the area you are living. Welcome to BYC

5. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Thanks for joining us, it's nice to have you here!

I've never had silkies but they are popular and there are a lot of threads about them. If you use the Search feature in the upper left corner, under the logo, I'm sure you'll find many posts about them.

6. Angiesgarden

Angiesgarden New Egg

Feb 9, 2016
    Thank you all so much!!! I'm learning so much already

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  7. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    Welcome to BYC it is not a good idea to have sillies as their feathers are not meant for cold and or wet conditions, other options for friendly chickens are polish, barred rocks, austrolorps, cochin, marans, wyandottes, orpingtons, buckeyes, chantecelers, brahma, delaware, dominique, RIR-rhode island red, newhampshire red, sussex, welsummer, white sultan, ameraucana, cream leg bar, easter egger, salmon faverolles, swedish flower hen, These are all different egg colors from dark brown to white, blue to green and there are some feather footed breeds but it depends on what type of run you have because feather footed breeds aren't good with mud, and as a rule if you don not have a protected run white breeds are usually the first to be picked off, and i gave you some options with beards muffs and head poofs and those aren't good with predators either but can sometimes get picked on.

8. Angiesgarden

Angiesgarden New Egg

Feb 9, 2016
    Thank you for the info. We are converting our barn into a coop with a attached run that will be fenced. I will let them free range when I'm down there, and back in the run when I'm not to protect them from predators and the elements. There are a couple trees that will be near there run to give them some shelter from being seen (even though it will be fenced)and from some of the rain. I was planning on getting 2 Ameraucanas and 2 silkies.

9. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

10. Angiesgarden

Angiesgarden New Egg

Feb 9, 2016
    So sweet thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by