new to world of silkies

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kimmybee, Jun 23, 2011.

1. kimmybee

kimmybee Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2011
    Waddell
    i got a white silkie for my 8 year old, she loves her very much but she just saw pictures of silkies with a huge wart like thing on their beaks or heads.... i tried to research what this was, and it seems some have it and some don't, does anyone have any insight to this? she was kind of grossed out by it and said she wouldn't want to touch that brainy looking thing if her chick gets one. [​IMG] I told her then it would be my baby because I love them. [​IMG]

2. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:that is the rooster comb and if u dont like it u can find rooster with very small combs

3. DrinkTheRainbow

DrinkTheRainbow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Altoona, Wisconsin
    My rooster has a really tiny one so it looks like a blood cell.

4. orpingtonbabies

orpingtonbabies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    Quote:that is the rooster comb and if u dont like it u can find rooster with very small combs

sorry 2 intrude but do only roos have that kind of brain looking comb? because i have one 12 week-old who has a very small comb but it's very brain-ish looking...

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    ugh, those combs (look like awful tumors) gross me out too. My friend has silkies, and it just "spoils" the whole experience for me, I don't want to be around them. Do hens have them as well?

6. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan

sorry 2 intrude but do only roos have that kind of brain looking comb? because i have one 12 week-old who has a very small comb but it's very brain-ish looking...

hens have a comb but if ur not looking for it at that age u wount find it

7. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

yes the hens have them too, but usually not as bulbous or noticeable. a breeder/show quality hen especially the crest should hide the comb. A hatchery hen usually the crest sweeps back and the comb is very noticable.

I love my silkies, I like their combs [​IMG]

8. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Yup, all birds should have a comb of some sort. Hens' are usually smaller and more well-hidden...It honestly doesn't bother me at all? [​IMG] Maybe I'm immune.

Orpingtonbabies-Silkies can also 'throw' single combs due to weirdness in the genes. If the comb is just a regular walnut comb but still doesn't look like a wad of gum, that can change as the bird matures. Or, sometimes they can look a little different. The walnut comb can vary.

Mine has a 'wad', but I love it's color.

[​IMG]

Females have them but they are typically very small. Much easier to see them on hatchery birds or birds with smaller crests.-As pointed out.

[​IMG]

This is a very old picture of a very nasty (in more ways than one, obviously) roo I once had the great pleasure of owning. His comb is even more visible.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by