New to You

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ShelliP3, Jun 3, 2016.

1. ShelliP3

ShelliP3 New Egg

May 1, 2016
    Pierz, MN
    Hi, this is Shelli. I have 17 chicks, 1 rooster and 4 ducklings. I have 3 pullets, 3 straight runs, 6 brown leghorns and 6 buff orpingtons. They range in age from 4 weeks, 5 weeks and 6 weeks. I also have 4 ducklings. 2 Pekins and 2 Indian Runners. We are having tons of fun, everyone is happy and healthy. I have received some good info from this website and I did buy 2 books, The Storey Guide to Raising Chickens and the Storey Guide to Raising Ducks. Right now they are in 4x8 coops in the basement. Because the ducks like water, after 2 weeks we had to make them their own coop. We will be moving them outside in about a week. We are getting their outside coop ready. I spend time with them every day. I sit inside the coop on a small stool and feed them from my hand. I pick up and hold each and every one of them and talk to them. They are very friendly and love to be petted. My ducks are another story. Even though I spend time with them, they hate to be picked up, I can pet them for awhile, but then they hide in the corner. I got them a tub to swim in, they are 6 weeks old now, and they just love it. It is so fun to watch all of them and I cannot wait to get them outside to the fresh air and sunshine. I haven't had any problems so far (knock on wood ) and everyone gets along well. My rooster is just learning to crow and does a good job of it. He is totally black and has 5 toes. Even his beak and crown are black. My other black straight run has carmel coloring all over, he/she is beautiful. My other black straight run has a cream chest. Well gotta go right now. Hope everyones chicks and ducks are doing great.

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome Shelli

Glad you could join us here! That's quite a flock you have there! It really does sound like you are enjoying them. It's so much fun raising them and very rewarding too. You might like to stop by the duck section for some tips on taming your ducklings ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

The learning centre is also great for lots of articles that are most helpful ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

3. ShelliP3

ShelliP3 New Egg

May 1, 2016
    Pierz, MN
    Thank you. And thanks for the info on taming ducks. I will look into that right away.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Shelli and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. Y/Coop has given you some helpful links and i wish you the best of luck in transitioning your chicks and ducks to the outdoors! This link (for chickens, at least) may be helpful in this regard - https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=Brooder+to+coop

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

All the best
    CT

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Shelli, I wish you would post a photo of your all black rooster. You could even post photos of any of your unknowns at "what breed or gender is this.?"

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined the flock! Your rooster sounds like the infamous Ayam Cemani, or possibly a cross. Really wonderful looking bird those.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by