New topic suggestion: chickens as garden helpers

BigPeep

Songster
10 Years
May 27, 2009
I would like to start a new topic centered on using chickens, and any other farm animals, as helpers in the garden. Any takers?

Nice idea! However, my chickens took little time in completely destroying my perennials. They are now confined in a chicken tractor that moves daily, but keeps them out of the gardens.

I have yet to do it but am going to. My veggie garden is next to the run. It is partially fenced and I need to move some more fencing to close it up. Then I am planning on rotating them out into the veggie garden. I will have to do it towards the end of the day for a couple of hours when I can be out there with them. They have never free ranged at all but I trust that they will want to go back into the run as the day wanes and it is time to roost.

I just cannot leave them out there by themselves because of hawks. But my soil needs what they have to offer so I might start with the roo's that I am going to process shortly and see how it works out. I have read several articles about letting them work the soil for you and can see the value in it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom