New topic suggestion: chickens as garden helpers

Discussion in 'BYC Website & Forum Feedback & Announcements' started by BigPeep, Sep 10, 2010.

1. BigPeep

BigPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    I would like to start a new topic centered on using chickens, and any other farm animals, as helpers in the garden. Any takers?

2. GwenDellAnno

GwenDellAnno Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    Water Valley, AB
    Nice idea! However, my chickens took little time in completely destroying my perennials. They are now confined in a chicken tractor that moves daily, but keeps them out of the gardens.

3. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    I have yet to do it but am going to. My veggie garden is next to the run. It is partially fenced and I need to move some more fencing to close it up. Then I am planning on rotating them out into the veggie garden. I will have to do it towards the end of the day for a couple of hours when I can be out there with them. They have never free ranged at all but I trust that they will want to go back into the run as the day wanes and it is time to roost.

I just cannot leave them out there by themselves because of hawks. But my soil needs what they have to offer so I might start with the roo's that I am going to process shortly and see how it works out. I have read several articles about letting them work the soil for you and can see the value in it.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  4. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

For the most part gardening with chickens discussions can go into the "managing flock" section. If it is more of a gardening discussion (manure, etc.) then there are lots of great discussions on the subject at our sister site: www.TheEasyGarden.com

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by