New trait in one of my BTW Japanese bantams??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Kitty135, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Kitty135

Kitty135 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Hello! I have 5 two month old BTW Japanese bantams, I cockerel and 5 pullets. I bought all of them from the same two parent birds, both pure BTW japs. All 5 are doing well, but I noticed something strange recently. One pullet is developing barring on her tail! Not just on one feather, but it's gradually spreading to the entire tail! The barring is black and white and the white is turning into perfect barring on her pitch black tail. Both parents were 100% black tailed white japs though and the other 4 chicks have perfectly black tails! What happened to the one pullet?! Please help!

2. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    I don't know the answer but I would love to see pictures [​IMG]

3. Kitty135

Kitty135 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    I took pics but I can't find the cable thing that I need to plug it in [​IMG] Her body is pure white with a pitch black tail. The black tail has snow white barring forming inward from the edge of the feathers and spreads to the middle of the feathers, perfectly symmetrical. The barring is coming in in the shape of a V all over the tail feathers. Is she sick or is she lucky?? Could it lead to future breeding problems (such as defects on her chicks)? Please provide opinions or advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by