New treat has them eating from the plam of my hand!!(pic)

Rooster61

Songster
8 Years
Mar 25, 2011
Michigan
My babies are about a week old today and I have given them hard boiled eggs a couple times before but was advised by a few members here that I shouldn't do this because they need their starter food for the vitamins it provides for them. So I decided ok...what if I mix a hard boiled egg with their starter food...what a hit it was...they just went crazy over it!!

83850_dsc01377.jpg

83850_dsc01381.jpg

As long as you are keepign the treats to a small part of their diet I encourage folks to give chicks more than a week old a diversity of treats. At 3 days old I give chicks a bowl of construction sand for grit and dust bathing and I start with treats. cooked egg, chopped spinach, easily digestable stuff. Week two I start offering chopped grass and dandelion leaves as well as kernels of fresh or thawed out frozen corn.
Doing this I have had only 1 chick in 5 years of raising multiple hatchings of chicks every year that has had any issue with pasty butt.

Last night I gave our babies their handful of chopped broccoli and added a couple of grapes that I had chopped up in tiny pieces. What a RIOT! They all went nuts. "Hawk", had a bit first running around trying to find a hiding place, then "Chocolate" grabbed it from her, then the tiniest Orp jumped up and snatched it away from her! Really amusing.

I put 1 hard boiled egg and a 1/4 cup of the starter feed in a small food chopper, then the won't have another treat for a couple days. Do you think it would be okay to put a hunk of sod from the lawn in there with them? I would have to bring it in the house and let it warm up first since it's only 30*F outside right now.

I started mine on their first hard boiled egg at 3-4 days. This time I mixed it with their starter feed(and will continue this from now on) so they would get the best of both. And like I said, I only do this every couple days because I want them to get as much of their starter feed possible.

I just watched social network, there is a scene where the co-founder of Facebook is trying to join a frat or something and has to carry a chicken around, he decides the chicken is hungry and feeds it some egg. He got arrested for cruelty to animals, something about forced cannibalism.

Forced Cannibalism
lau.gif
.... I can see me calling a lawyer...Lawyer "What are you charged with...Me "Forced Cannibalism"
lau.gif
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom