New treat has them eating from the plam of my hand!!(pic)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rooster61, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Rooster61

Rooster61 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2011
    My babies are about a week old today and I have given them hard boiled eggs a couple times before but was advised by a few members here that I shouldn't do this because they need their starter food for the vitamins it provides for them. So I decided ok...what if I mix a hard boiled egg with their starter food...what a hit it was...they just went crazy over it!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    As long as you are keepign the treats to a small part of their diet I encourage folks to give chicks more than a week old a diversity of treats. At 3 days old I give chicks a bowl of construction sand for grit and dust bathing and I start with treats. cooked egg, chopped spinach, easily digestable stuff. Week two I start offering chopped grass and dandelion leaves as well as kernels of fresh or thawed out frozen corn.
    Doing this I have had only 1 chick in 5 years of raising multiple hatchings of chicks every year that has had any issue with pasty butt.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Gotta love anything that gets them to eat out of your hands!

When they get a little older, try carrot greens - they are a big hit too.

4. Okie Amazon

Okie Amazon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Midwest City
    Last night I gave our babies their handful of chopped broccoli and added a couple of grapes that I had chopped up in tiny pieces. What a RIOT! They all went nuts. "Hawk", had a bit first running around trying to find a hiding place, then "Chocolate" grabbed it from her, then the tiniest Orp jumped up and snatched it away from her! Really amusing.

5. Rooster61

Mar 25, 2011
    I put 1 hard boiled egg and a 1/4 cup of the starter feed in a small food chopper, then the won't have another treat for a couple days. Do you think it would be okay to put a hunk of sod from the lawn in there with them? I would have to bring it in the house and let it warm up first since it's only 30*F outside right now.

6. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Very cute pics! Thanks for sharing.

7. petunias212

petunias212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    too cute!! how soon can we feed chicks treats like that???

8. Rooster61

Mar 25, 2011
    I started mine on their first hard boiled egg at 3-4 days. This time I mixed it with their starter feed(and will continue this from now on) so they would get the best of both. And like I said, I only do this every couple days because I want them to get as much of their starter feed possible.

9. MykeMc

MykeMc Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2011
    I just watched social network, there is a scene where the co-founder of Facebook is trying to join a frat or something and has to carry a chicken around, he decides the chicken is hungry and feeds it some egg. He got arrested for cruelty to animals, something about forced cannibalism.

10. Rooster61

Mar 25, 2011
    Forced Cannibalism [​IMG] .... I can see me calling a lawyer...Lawyer "What are you charged with...Me "Forced Cannibalism" [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by