New turkeys on 5/18 or 5/19

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by lnm03, May 13, 2010.

1. lnm03

lnm03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    I ordered 6 Burbon Reds from Cackle and they are scheduled to be mailed on 5/17 so I should get them a day or two after that. I have a brooder all set up for them and I have 5 chicks that will be one week old when I receive them that I am planning on putting in with them.

My question is I went to Rural king and bought meat bird food because I also ordered 50 cornish x. The protein in the meat bird food is only 21% is that enough for the turkeys or do I need to find a Turkey feed? Also, is it ok for my 5 chicks that are not meat birds to eat the turkey's feed? Its a new hampshire red male and 4 barred rock pullets (hoping to breed my own BSL).

This is my first time with turkeys so any helpful info would be great!!!

2. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

We feed ours a 28% protien for about the first 3 months then drop down to a 20% start n grow until they are about 6 months old. The reason for the higher protien is the turkeys grow so fast and large. They won't reach the full size/weight until much later on a lower protien feed. I had read here and there of people saying that the adult turkeys have more problems from a lower protien feed but you have to take that with a grain of salt.

If I were you I would get some higher protien feed, the chicks eating that same feed will be fine.

One key thing when you get them is make sure they are eating and drinking right from the start. There is alot of stress on the poults from shipping and when you get them they are going to be at least 3 days old with no food or water.

Steve

3. lnm03

lnm03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Thanks Steve!

I also have one more question. We are planning on keeping 4 for breeding purposes can the eventually go on layer feed with the chickens?

Thank you!!!

4. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

When we put ours out with the flocks at 6 months they eat regular layer. A couple times a week we will throw out hard boiled eggs for them also

Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by