New turner stopped working !

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by fduncan, Feb 28, 2013.

1. fduncan

fduncan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    Northwest Colorado
    Noticed this morning that the turner didn't seem to be moving but thought maybe I missed it turning the other way . But nope I've been in every half hour today and that thing is stuck in the same spot . Brand new on the 16th when I put in eggs and now 12 days later it's no longer working . Glad I noticed it early guess I'll be hand turning for the rest of this hatch .More fuel for my husbands running joke that I shouldn't touch anything with a motor/electrical ( I've killed a fridge , a dryer , an engine in my car and my other incubator went wacky all in the last month ! [​IMG] ) I'm starting to believe it myself !
    Forgot to ask will one day ( hoping it's just the one day I cant remember if I noticed it turning yesterday or not ) of not turning affect my eggs any ?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  2. CayuseRanch

CayuseRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Newalla, Oklahoma
    I'm sure they will be fine. I think the same thing with my turners all the time but if thou come back in 10 min I find it working

3. CayuseRanch

CayuseRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Newalla, Oklahoma
    Oh and if you ask me sounds like hubby sabotage

4. fduncan

fduncan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    Northwest Colorado
    Yah ! It's tittled a little more up right this morning so maybe I was just somehow missing it's turn to the other side [​IMG] . Hubby sabotage would be definite possability he's been home from work with pneumonia and very bored lol

5. Chris2

Chris2 New Egg

Sep 26, 2012
    My egg turner stopped working some time ago and I took a little glob of petroleum jelly and stuck it into the slot where the motor's turning arm meets the turning rack and goes up and down and goes up an down in that slot to push the arm that turns the eggs. The dry plastic of the motor's turning arm was sticking to the dry plastic of the slot in the rack arm. The petroleum jelly provided lube which allowed the arm to go up and down in the slot easily and that in turn pushes the rack arm and that turns the eggs. After the petroleum jelly the egg turner worked fine.

If the petroleum jelly doesn't get it to working, make a little drawing of the motor and how it fits into the arm of the turning rack, then take the motor off of the turner (two little screws) but leave it connected to the electricity and watch and see if the motor's turning arm is turning (it looks a little like a "L"). If it isn't turning your little motor is shot and you need to order a new motor (they are not expensive). When the new motor arrives, look at the little drawing you made before you took the old motor off and use that drawing to hook up the new motor. Now, I always put a little petroleum jelly in the slot that the motor arm fits into and that makes the motor work longer without having to be replaced because it doesn't take so much energy for the arm to up and down in the slot of the rack's arm so the little motor doesn't have to work so hard.

But be careful not to get any petroleum Jelly in the places where the eggs set. If the jelly gets on eggs it will smother the eggs.

I hope this help you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by