new two turkeys few questions

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by casey fox, Aug 21, 2013.

1. casey fox

casey fox New Egg

Aug 20, 2013
    gainsville florida
    just got to Royal Palms. they look a little rough like they were kept in a small cage. the man said they were about 5 months old although they look younger to me. they seem healthy just look dirty and their fan feathers are a mess. what's the best way to clean them. will their feathers come back as a grow. they're such a beautiful birds I'm just glad I found this site

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Congrats on your new birds. Sorry that they are in an unclean condition where you got them from. If it were me, I would bath them with Dawn liquid soap (which is what they use to clean our precious animals that have been in oil spills, etc.) and water. Their feathers should grow back with no problems. Make sure you separate them from your other birds if you have any other birds. They possibly could be 5 months old but because they were kept in a small cage and gosh knows what were they were fed and if they were fed enough, they probably are small for their age. You will have to fatten them up with a high protein feed 22% or 30% if you can find it. You can also give them boiled eggs for more protein as well. Thank goodness you saved them from where they were. They are in a better place and better home now where you can properly take care of them. Please post any and all questions that you may have about how to care for them. That's why we are all hear - to learn.

:D

3. casey fox

casey fox New Egg

Aug 20, 2013
    gainsville florida
    Thanx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by