New type waterer

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Linda J R, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Linda J R

Linda J R Just Hatched

Jan 29, 2017
    I recently bought a Hills Farm Poultry waterer that looks like a square bucket and has four "nipples" on the bottom of it. My chickens are used to drinking from a stationary waterer with a "trough". I've had the new waterer hanging in the coop for about a week or two and they have yet to drink from it. I need suggestions on how to "teach" them to use it. HELP!

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    During the day when you will be home, remove their source of previous water in the morning. At about noon your chickens will develop a thirst. Take one of your hens and have her beak activate the waterer nipple. Once they see that water comes out when they peck at the red nipple, the others should catch on quick. You may need to go thru the process with each hen to speed up the learning.
    WISHING YOU BEST. and [​IMG]

3. Linda J R

Linda J R Just Hatched

Jan 29, 2017
    Thanks, I'll give it a try! Wish me luck!

4. PapaBear4

PapaBear4 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2014
    Maryland
    Make sure it's hanging at the correct height. I've had to raise mine up before to get them to use it. I've also had it too high before and they had to jump for it.
    If you can't catch one of the hens to make her tap it, you can tap it to get a few beads of water on the end. The noise and the dripping got mine curious enough to come investigate.
    Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by