New urban chicken wrangler, from Chicago

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ChitownChick, Oct 12, 2016.

1. ChitownChick

ChitownChick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2016
    Chicago, IL
    Hey guys, finally just joined BYC and want to give a quick shout out thanking the community. These forums have been an immense help! I got into keeping chickens unexpectedly, when a Barred Rock rooster just happened to get chased by some neighborhood kids into my garage. Unfortunately people in the city abandon unwanted roosters all the time--it's pretty sad. I let him into our backyard for the night and he slept perched on my motorcycle (luckily a warm summer night). It was a life changing moment--and very picturesque!

Obviously, we decided to keep him. We bought an inexpensive used coop right away, and made some rough expansions to the run. We also got three Rhode Island Red hens, and sadly had to give away our roo to the local bird supply shop we got the hens from due to neighbor complaints.

Thanks to BYC we were able to diagnose one of the hens with a respiratory illness (she was gurgly, and had foam in her eye) and get her the medicine she needed in time to save her life! We were also able to help poor "Bare-Butt" grow her feathers back (she's now named Babs) and deal with chicken lice! Thanks to this online community we have been improving their living conditions every week and have been able to deal with every challenge the ladies have thrown at us. Now they are each laying an egg a day and are very happy, confident & straight up SASSY birds.

Thanks BYC people, I look forward to contributing to your community!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, ChitownChick, and :welcome! Glad you made it official and signed up. Also happy you have found BYC so helpful. It is indeed an awesome resource - and yes, chickens can be life changing. Awesome avatar, by the way! Best wishes! :)

3. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello, and welcome to Backyard chickens! I am glad you joined us, and I hope you make yourself at home here! I usually give new members some links to read through, but it sounds like you know your way around BYC. I love your avatar by the way! You should totally enter it in the caption contest thread! https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...t-photo-submission-thread-2/690#post_17632482. I hope you enjoy BYC as much as I have!

4. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

That is a heck of a photo.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Great photo. Looks like the rooster knew he have to head out of town pronto. Since the stockyards closed down many years ago, I guess the only thing you can wrangle in Chicago is chickens. I lived in Chicago for the first 22 years of my life and never knew you could have chickens. I wonder how long ago they allowed them.

7. N F C

N F C Happy T-Day! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Wonderful photo of your roo on the motorcycle. Glad you are enjoying your birds and thanks for joining us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by