New urban flock in TX

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Hishigata, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Hishigata

Hishigata Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2012
    Hello,

I am a newbie to urban chicken farming but have some experience with chickens. I currently have two lovely girls named Salt and Pepper. Salt is feisty lakenvelder and Pepper is a very mellow ameraucana (both pictured below). The girls love to eat cottage cheese, grapes and any new plants in my garden. They live in a wee coop but spend most of their time running around the backyard making a mess of the compost piles.

I joined BYC when one of my hens got sick and died last month. My other chicken, Salt, was weak, lethargic and breathing heavily when I found her. I got lots of good advice and now Salt is better and as rambunctious as ever. I am currently debating getting a new hen to replace the one I lost. If anyone has advice let me know.

I also want to ask if anyone else has a lakenvelder. My girl Salt is a real handful. She barks like a rooster every morning from 7:30 until around 9:00 and I don't think the neighbors are too happy. She also picks fights with people. The other day she fluffed out her neck feathers like dilophosaurus and pecked my roommates hand so hard she drew blood. Further proof that modern aves has saurian roots. This is not the first time she has attacked someone and usually does it while we are gardening. Perhaps thinking we are pilfering her worms? Anyone have success teaching an unruly lakenvelder to have some manners? So far we put her in the pen when she misbehaves and that helps a little.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. Big A Chickens

Big A Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Palmetto, Georgia
    Hi and [​IMG] So glad you joined us!!!!![​IMG]

3. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California! I once had a hen who acted like a rooster, she would charge me all the time what a meanie! If I hadn't seen her lay eggs I would have sworn she was a rooster.

4. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Hishigata, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! Wow! What a couple of great looking birds! I'm jealous! I don't know much aout taming down unruly hens but I have read in BYC that one can simply scoop up the bird and hold her, walking around the yard for awhile. This seems to show the offending bird that she isn't in charge like she thought she was. May take several of these lessons. Might be worth a try. Good luck to you!!

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

7. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Awww sorry to hear about the sickness!! We have two BRock that are Salt and Pepper LOL!! kids named them! Sorry I dont have that breed : ( But Hello and Welcome!!!
    [​IMG]

8. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]

9. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. I have done what redsoxs suggest to a roo before and it really helped so maybe it will work on your hen. :thumbsup

10. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by