New user - can anyone help?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by barffy, Nov 12, 2016.

1. barffy

barffy New Egg

Nov 12, 2016
    Hi all,

Long time 'lurker' first time poster here. A while back we bought some day old chicks as a fox took out our old hens. They were black in colour with grey legs and grey eyes and we were told their breed at the time, but it was a breed we haven't ever heard of and subsequently forgot! Anyway, skip forward a few months and our chicks are grown! I've been trying to figure out what breed they are and the best I can come up with (and at the time thought they could be) barnevelders. they don't have all of the traits so I guess they are some kind of hybrid but the cockerel is beautiful all the same. Here is Norman, we were after hens but you get what you get with chicks and he is beautiful all the same.

[​IMG]

Thanks for any help,

Harry.

2. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    He is a crossbred. Likely some Wyandotte blood in him with that rose comb.

3. barffy

barffy New Egg

Nov 12, 2016
    Thank you for the response. I've attached an image of him with the Hen from the same batch of chicks. When they were chick they both had black eyes and legs, the other they get the paler their legs get and now their eyes are orange.

These pics are a few weeks old now, the cockerel is now very red and crowing well!

[​IMG]

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Agree he's a mixed breed, and a mixed enough no particular breed jumps out. Wyandotte is the most common rose combed breed, so that's a good guess for some of the mix.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree I've also never seen feet multi colored like his

6. SunflowerTheBun

SunflowerTheBun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2016
    Victoria, Australia.
    Welcome, fellow lurker! I stalked for about a year lol. Sorry, can't help with your chickens but they look beautiful all the same! Everyone's great here though so bypass me and get some answers!

7. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    Wow, its a calico chicken! :D

Looks like there's some brown Leghorn in there, rose comb and white earlobes plus the red saddle feathers... Love his feet; he's very colorful!

8. barffy

barffy New Egg

Nov 12, 2016
    This boy just gets more beautiful by the day [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Silly question, but now he is mature he has taken a liking to one of my bantams. He is a big guy and our sablepoot is tiny. Is it even possible that she would produce fertile eggs given the size difference?

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Absolutely possible. The chicks usually wind up being a kid size bird.

From the new pic, I would consider a brown Leghorn x gold laced Wyandotte cross, maybe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by