New Veterinarian specializing in poultry...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JesHoc123, Sep 16, 2016.

1. JesHoc123

JesHoc123 Just Hatched

Sep 16, 2016
    Greetings! I am a recent grad of veterinary school and am currently working on a poultry specialty. I love working with all types of poultry but am here really to learn from you guys! I see mainly production animals in practice but we do get to have some great times with back yard flocks too! I am excited to be part of this great community!

I am interested in seeing what your vets do for your flocks and can't wait to learn!

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    :welcome!

You will be very welcome in the Emergencies section if you care to give advice to people :)

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Pyxis is certainly right about that. I'm sure others would love to know where you will be setting up practice.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, JesHoc123, and :welcome. Pleased you joined us. Awesome that you will be a veterinarian who can treat poultry. We need more people with that skill as more and more folks are becoming backyard chicken keepers. Congrats and thanks for joining BYC!

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and a warm welcome to our community. Your input will be very much valued by us all!

Best wishes
    CT

6. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    Wow super cool, welcome to BYC I'm glad you joined us

7. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] so glad you have joined us.

It took "guts" to announce your expertise - hope you aren't overloaded with PM's - would prefer you enjoy the membership and the forums.[​IMG]

Our local vets won't treat poultry ( even the couple who have their own flocks). But, our county agent has been very helpful to me in the past passing health related questions on to UGA Poultry/Avian Vets who respond directly by email.

There are quite a number of folks here with "on-the-job" training and experience and very helpful to those of us with less experience.

Does your Poultry Specialty curriculum include dealing with chickens in the same way you treat mammalian pets: Surgery, Orthopedics and Emergency Medical Care?

Have you had your own flock or had a one on one experience with these fabulous creatures?

1 person likes this.
  8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. JesHoc123

JesHoc123 Just Hatched

Sep 16, 2016
    Hello to everyone!

With the advanced training am introduced to many poultry diseases, biosecurity, laboratory test for programs such as NPIP run by the USDA, flock health and evaluations, diagnostics and many other experiences. I am not sure where my training will take me but I am open to everything. I will be working with other veterinarians on special procedures such as surgery and emergencies but that will most likely be as a consultant.

I am open to question but as I said I am learning...so I am here to gain knowledge from all of you that have WAY more experience than I do!

1 person likes this.
  10. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    Anything in particular you want to know

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by