New visitor came for breakfast !!!! 3 pics

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by bayouchica, May 30, 2008.

1. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    I was going out to feed the ducks on the bayou this morning.The resident fishing owl was hanging out & I was trying to get a pic of him.All of a sudden,there was a big splash not to far out in the water.. I was thinking maybe a buffalo or a gar fish. So... about 25 yards out in the bayou I saw this
    [​IMG]

It's the first time EVER I've seen a gator in the wild!!! So freaking cool yall!!! Never saw the whole body,but that thang could swim.. I was paddling my tail off,chasing it to get a better pic... The gator got smart & would go under & pop up & be a hundred yards away.
    [​IMG]

I'm guessing his head was over a foot long, don't know how long he was.I'm hoping to see him again & get some better pics.One of these days, I'll get a better camera. [​IMG]

Look who was on lookout when I got back,lol.
    [​IMG]
    Yall have a wonderful day, Miriam [​IMG]

2. Nupine

Nupine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    I don't think I would survive the heart attack I would get seeing that!!

3. sueg6255

sueg6255 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    LaGrange County
    Wow I would freak! Great looking group of chickens there!

4. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Miriam - I always LOVE your posts - especially the ones with pictures. It's so beautiful there on your bayou and your chickens look so gorgeous in the natural surroundings. I also like your contantly changing avatars - always so photogenic.

I'm surprised this is the first gator you've seen. Haven't you heard that in Louisiana EVERYONE has gators in their yard? [​IMG] I travel for a living and that is the first thing everyone asks me "Do you have alligators in your yard?"

Seriously though, living on the bayou, I can't believe you haven't seen more gators. I haven't driven by a bayou or a body of marsh land or water without seeing lots of them. I get scared standing on the bridges looking down at them. They are huge and yes they can swim really fast. I'm amazed they aren't taking your chickens which seem to love to stand on bayou bank and gaze out. I think it proves that you can free range chickens in all sorts of environments and they do just as well, if not better than, chickens that are kept confined for life "for their own safety".

Keep posting the beautiful pics.

5. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    GREAT PICTURES! BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm I reading this correct

""I was paddling my tail off,chasing it to get a better pic... The gator got smart & would go under & pop up & be a hundred yards away. ""

May I ask a friendly question???

ARE YOU NUTS? [​IMG]

6. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  7. CathyB

CathyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    PA
    Wow! That would really scare me if that was around my house! When I went to Florida me and my Dad rented a small boat and one swam by us. I was about 12 and scared to death!! My Dad told me not to worry it was a baby! I said "where's the mother!" [​IMG]

8. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    We've seen 'gators quite a few times during our trips to Kiawah Island, SC. My mom saw her first one about 15 years ago and she still talks about "ol' snoutyface".

9. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Maybe he was scouting out chicken for breakfast he can't get your flock can he?

10. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    Bayouchica, I always love your pictures. Thanks for the advaenture story. Good luck on getting closer to your new friend. maybe you could rope him and get him on land for some real closeups. [​IMG] I wish we had gators around here.
    Buckguy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by