New Visitor to Front Garden Birdbath

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by rebbetzin, Sep 10, 2010.

1. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    This morning I was surprised to see this hawk at the birdbath.

She, I think it's a she, let me come very close to her( about 6 to 8 feet) and get her photo I took about 30 photos! Some with the flash, and she just looked at me, no fear.

I think she is pretty. I won't be letting my chickens free range anytime soon.

[​IMG]

2. kichohana

kichohana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Johnston County, NC
    oooooooh she is quite beautiful - and a large bird! i would be keeping an extra eye on my chickies too![​IMG]

3. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Wow, that's a sharp-shinned hawk, I think. By all means, keep an eye on your smaller chickens, especially.

4. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Thought he'd have a drink while waiting for a snack.

5. WillieBoy

WillieBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Thats not a sharp-shinned , they are very small for a hawk. It looks like a Paragin Falcon to me,spelling is off, i know....
    Beautiful animal....HIDE CHICKENS....!

6. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    wow! huge!!!!! beautiful photo. [​IMG]

7. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:No not a Peregrine Falcon , they have black marking below eyes. They take birds right out of the air, at dives of up to 200 mile per hour. Mostly pigeon.

Cooper Hawk

8. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Quote:No not a Peregrine Falcon , they have black marking below eyes. They take birds right out of the air, at dives of up to 200 mile per hour. Mostly pigeon.

Cooper Hawk

Have to agree with deerman, it looks bigger than a sharp shinned so it is probably a coopers. Very pretty bird and would definitely watch for it when allowing your chickens to free range!

9. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    This time of year it is probably passing through and stopped for a little take out/fast food.

10. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Hmmm, our Cooper's don't look like this. I have some photos on my blog a few posts back. The head shape is different as are the red markings. But, it does have that dark cap that Cooper's have, so it could possible.

I agree, falcons are different, they aren't as red in the front and the eyes and head are different. Falcons also take out a lot of shorebirds and even full-grown ducks.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by